SRS Becoming overwhelmed...how to deal with it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paulie Walnuts, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

When I have all these racing thoughts and I have a lot of free time like on weekends the little insignificant things overwhelm me. I get frustrated and cannot focus on one thing and get to the point where Im angry and aggravated. Can anyone offer some tips on how to change this or control this?

2. Saluki

Saluki New Member

I have that happen to me ALLLL the time! What I do is do something that calms me down so I can focus on what I need to do/get done. Lately I'll usually just play a game of Call of Duty 4 online (10 mins) and I get rid of those racing thoughts.

Edit: Do you have a fullsize version of your AV?

3. arsbu

arsbu New Member

Do you actually have things you need to accomplish? If not, I find that getting a punching bag helps relieve some stress and you get good exercise. Usually when I get angry and aggravated, I just lift weights and it helps me calm down. Hill sprints and stairs until I feel like shit helps me calm down too.

When I get emo and want to think about things, I take spontaneously long runs no where.

These methods always helped me relax (along with music).

Okay, this is starting to sound like a F&N post...

4. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I have that really bad as well. I learned early on to make lists. It doesn't seem as bad for me when I make a list, prioritize it, and set dates to have those things done by. I cross them off when i'm done, and keep everything together.

If i'm particularly stressed, i'll add little things that I know I would do that day anyway like "buy milk" or "read x chapters for class" so I can look back and see what I got done that day.

Just find a way to organize that chaos so it isn't overwhelming and looks feasible.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Cod4 works for me. :dunno:

6. Paulie Walnuts

http://bumperstickers.cafepress.com/stickers/design/26356876

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  7. Paulie Walnuts

Yes I have things that I need to accomplish. Some of them others might not find pressing I guess you would say but in my mind they are. Its like right now I look around the room and there is all this clutter and all this shit that I feel I need to get done and I cannot stay focused. Its like I am trying to do it all at once and I bounce from one thing to another and get bits and pieces done.

I have to cancel my gym membership because I cannot afford it but Im hoping that my old man can bring my weight set back to my place and keep it in the garage. Hopefully that will help out. I just cannot get motivated and then when I do, its so much at once it just is crazy.

8. Paulie Walnuts

Yes indeed I do make lists, I have lists up the ass.

Part of what drove my soon to be ex wife nuts was my lists. And she could never figure out why it was that I needed to do things everyday to keep up. Otherwise like today where I have a shit ton I feel I need to do, it overwhelms me. Or I get distracted with something else. Sometimes I wish I could get on a drug like addreal so that I can fucking focus.

9. RedZ71

RedZ71 Large Marge sent me.

its the insignificant things that really get to you, in find the same things as well. ive been spending at least one night a week at a friends house. getting away from the apt my ex and i shared, even if its only a few hours, has been my key.

if i dont do that, getting out and just a walk thru a store (like frys or best buy, or some place that i really like). distractions dont often come to you... you have to generate them yourself.

10. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

I find that there is only a few things that calm me, but then again it sounds like I'm a little more messed in the head that you.

I had this notepad at my last job that helped a ton, I'd just flip through it really fast, it was stupid and simple but the sound and feel of it, I don't know it just calmed me down, I actually would spend an hour doing that somedays.

My computer chair rocks a little bit, so I do that, something simple again but I like it. If I ever get into a real rocking chair though I am screwed, I'll be there for hours but it's just awesome.

Staring at things, mainly a spot on the wall or a pattern. This one will sound really stupid, but starting at a spot on the wall can calm me down, same with at a pattern, so long as it's an interesting pattern of some sort. This one is harder to describe, but it's more or less tied in with the other ones, stare at a spot on the wall and rock back and forth.

For some reason though I think your problem is different than mine because no one I know does what I do.

Another thing that can help, well not really, is to find something that interests me. But that only gives me focus for a short time and it is totally directed at what interests me. It's not controllable, or anything of the sort, I just stumble across something that is interesting and I can manage to push out a few of the other random thoughts and just focus on that. But like I said this isn't controllable and I only bring it up in case you have some passion that you could use to focus yourself. But again maybe it's just me. :dunno:

11. Musouka

Musouka New Member

I usually go for a nice run whenever I feel overwhelmed, usually helps calm me down. I usually try to do it in a nice state park so I'll just be alone running through the trails in the woods (ocassionally coming upon a hiker/mountain biker/runner). Helps to clear my head usually and things don't seem as bad when I'm done.

12. deadmeat

deadmeat Active Member

Actually, the prioritized list works for me. Priority of A1, B1, C1, C4, whatever .... It gives me things to kill off my list which helps me feel like I have a handle on things.

13. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I feel the same way a lot.

14. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

Used to be very much like that. I started meditation and when I find things get to much I just sit quietly, focus on my breathing for 5 minutes and then everything is back in clarity.

15. Paulie Walnuts

Ok got some links that will walk me through this?

16. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco