MIL Becoming an officer questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gundam, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

It's always been a desire of mines to join the military, but I never followed through with it. I have a BS in Criminal Justice, i've been through a POST certified police academy, and worked as a police officer for a short period of time. Right now I'm working a lame job with mediocre pay and I'm looking to shake things up. Ever since I posted up my resume on Monster, I've been getting emails from the Marines pushing me to go through their officer program. But before I get serious, I wanted to see what you guys know before I actually talk to a recruiter.

1. Assuming I make it through the program, what can I expect to get paid as a new officer? I was talking to an acquiantence who is a SSGT for the AF, and he makes 60k a year. He was telling me as an officer I'd be making close to 100k a year. Seems a little far fetched considering base pay is around 25k a year right?

2. I prefer the Air Force, but I hear they aren't really recruiting officers, and if they are, it's with technical degrees only right?

3. How long is the application process before you get shipped out? Then how long is training?

4. How many days out of the year, can I expect to be deployed?

2. Gundam

You mean post military career? Or a career in the military. Honestly I have no clue on what I want to do right now.

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

no the AF is not really recruiting officers

4. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

I only make 45k as an O-1

5. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

factor in the fact that officers get nice housing for free and that initial basepay is a lot more than you think. plus deployments are tax free so you get extra money during those.

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I take home 48K gross 56500 a year as an O-2 (that will all vary depending on where your at becasue of BAH) and in 4 months im gonna get a 600 a month raise, I'm quite happy with 2k twice a month

7. kazimer

kazimer New Member

Military pay is somewhat mediocre at the start. Especially if you are coming off of the streets into an OCS program you can expect to have the pay of an E-4 and E-5 during your precommissioning months

Around year 4 is when you start seeing a decent increase in pay.

What branch are you looking to join? That will kind of lay out a foundation/map of what your potential deployments will be like

8. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

9. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Application process length varies. I went Marine Corps and from the start of the process until getting accepted (not getting shipped) took about 4 months or so. But that can be squashed down if you, say, have a 300 PFT and all your letters of rec lined up. You get that all together, do MEPs then it's just a matter of waiting for the next board to meet. I went the PLC route so I had to wait until summer to actually get shipping off so, in all, it took about 9 months from first recruiter contact till getting on a plane for Quantico.

That was a few years ago so things may be different now especially for AF, Navy, CG, and NG. They may tell you they are filled up for a certain length of time and the whole process could take a year easily. It seems if you go Marines/Army, you'll have a shorter process.

10. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

AS far as training goes, again it depends on what direction you go. Each branch's OCS/OTS usually lasts about 10/12/14 weeks. And then training after that varies. Just google that shit.

11. Gundam

Probably either Marines or Army. I prefer Airforce, but they don't seem to be recruiting for officer positions.

12. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

Has there been lay offs with officers in the AF lately?

13. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I hear it is hit or miss when it comes to Air Force officer slots.

Army typically deploys for 12 months. After initial training you will most likely be sent to a deployable unit. My application/OCS packet didnt take too long, but this was back in 2004

WHat type of job are you looking at: Infantry, Engineers, MP, Signal Corps..etc etc

14. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

I'm looking at something IT-related like communications

15. kazimer

kazimer New Member

Officer or Enlisted?
    If Officer, MAJOR can give you the low down of what its like to be a Sigo.

I am undergoing training to essentially be THE network/WAN engineer. I am still new to the signal world as I was a Corp of Engineers guy at first

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  16. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

Army is still accepting Officers but they are starting to cut back. Waivers (if needed) are now much harder to get.

17. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

as an o-1e, married living in pensacola, i make around 5k or so per month take home. (this is including housing and meal pay)
    once i get to the fleet and get extra pay for all sorts of stuff, i should be getting a lot more than that.

18. kazimer

kazimer New Member

arent they trying to increase the Army's ranks by like 60K people over the next 4 years?

I have heard the same thing about the Army increasing its standards

19. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

I'm trying to be an officer. Are you an officer in the Army? Your training sounds like something I'd like to pursue.

20. Gundam

Although I'm a tad undecided right now, MP sounds like a solid choice since I do have a law enforcement background.

21. kazimer

kazimer New Member

MP was my 3rd choice. I was sold once I watched an SRT demo :o
    I dont even think officers get to be a part of it though

Yep I am an officer (O-3). The WAN/Network engineer thing I am doing falls under what are called functional Areas. There are only 215 people Army wide doing what I am being trained for.

If you really want to do IT and nothing else look into being a Warrant Officer. The Army Signal Corps as a regular line officer will lead more towards the management side of things. Go in as a 2LT through OCS and then "resign your commission in lieu of a Warrant Officer Commission" upon promotion to 1LT or a little afterwards. Its not the preferred method of things as you take a paycut but it will keep you from enlisting and hoping to make thet Warrant Officer boards. You will gain leadership tools, maturity, blah blah [insert army strong commercial here]

If you have a degree in either Math or Engineering you can go in as a 2LT and during your 4th year of service submit FA24(telecom systems engineer, its what I am training to become) as your preference and pray. The boards are pretty though, however the training is well worth it. I should have my PhD in about 7-10 years

22. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

TS, any update?

23. Gundam

I've been holding off on the process because my mom has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Since she probably doesn't have that much longer I'm trying to spend as much time as possible with her. I'm 25 right now. Would I still have a decent shot at making it through if I wait around 2 more years? Cutoff is 30 right?

24. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

WTF at more people thinking officer pay is mediocre

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  25. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yea really, I have no problem with my pay check.