A&P Becoming a second/assistant photographer?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by XtremeSaturn, Oct 28, 2009.

1. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

My current employment situation is getting dicey and Im looking for a suplimental income as well as gain more photography skills

Any advice from the established photographers as to what you look for in an assistant? Anyone an assistance and care to share how you got teamed up with an established photographer?

2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

in all honestly, i asked him jokingly if he was looking to hire a 2nd photographer

he said yes and the rest is history

sucks i never got to keep any of the images i shot :(

3. aCab

aCab New Member

I have around 126 days left I think, then I can say that I need an assistant. You're going to have to pay for your relocation though. FL -> ATL should be easy enough.

You'd get to keep your images :dunno:

4. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

My pitch to jcolman, I have a canon and black people love me as well lol

5. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

PM gvidion, or something like that... he's an assistant I think.

6. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I would suggest try to find someone who's in school for photo...that way you know they're as eager to learn as you are, and if they learn enough while assisting they can becomes a second shooter. That's pretty much how it went with me. I assisted for about 8 months, when I started shooting I already knew what to look for.

7. Total Xenocide

Total Xenocide OT Supporter

Know any local photogs? Do they blog/share everything they know anyway? That might be a good place to start. Just shoot them an email and ask if they need an assistant.

I'm currently assisting Ed Pingol whenever he needs me. Mostly I'm just his lighting bitch, but I've learned a tremendous amount just being around him and watching him work. My situation's a little different though, as I actually randomly ran into him at a Starbucks (along with mrtwo and a few other friends) and after talking to him for a little bit he told us to shoot him an email if we wanted to assist. After working with him, though, he has mentioned that random people just email him all the time asking if they can assist and he tries to work them in depending on his needs and the location/time of the shoot

8. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Thanks total. I've talked to some of the photographers at weddings I've been to and like one in particular that I'll be emailing tomorrow with some of my photos. I was also thinking about making some photos similar to what Ed has (2-3 photos on one jpg) with my name, cell, and email address. I'll have some printed and drop them off in person at some of the studios with actual hours, email some and leave a couple at the local camera shop in hopes they'd share them with the more established photographers.

9. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

a friend of mine manages a commercial studio. she said a that things are pretty slow this year and they're not hiring noobs as her pool of experienced photo assistants is overflowing, many are willing to work for lower "noob" day rates. however, when she does hire new people she looks for photo school or art degrees and studio experience on their resumes. also, if you show up with a table-top portfolio and the photographer shoots lifestyle or fashion, you go to the bottom of the pile.

don't know much about wedding photographers, but i'd assume from what she said that you want to show them your people/lifestyle shots if want a job as the second shooter.

10. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

The best thing I can suggest is get to know people. Any friends or family member you know that know a Photog, ask them if they can introduce you to them. Its all about connections and who you know. Emailing random photog and getting a job is 1 in a million.

11. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Here's what I was thinking about stopping by in person and dropping off and or e-mailing. I do agree with you Gvidon, knowing someone is a hell of a lot better than being just another swining dick sending an e-mail.

[​IMG]
    Wish they didn't hang out on a boat for 6 hours the day before but ah well.

[​IMG]