SRS Beautiful young family destroyed on Xmas Eve...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DiggityDogg, Dec 26, 2008.

1. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

This couple was close friends with a friend of mine. I had met them before and they were very nice people. She was 2 weeks shy of giving birth to twins.

On Xmas eve they were on their way to a family gathering when a idiot woman in a hurry tried passing multiple cars on a two lane highway. She hit them head on. The 24 year old soon-to-be mother was killed along with her unborn twins. The husband is in critical condition at the hospital.

I can't imagine a larger tragedy happening in our town, on Xmas eve no less...

Even though I barely knew them, it has hit me pretty hard. I keep thinking about how this family had a bright future and how they were such great people and this had to happen to them because of something so absolutely stupid. The young lady who was killed was the type of person who would light a room when she walked in, and the young man was a loyal and true person.

The woman who caused the accident survived and I believe isn't even that badly off right now. I hope she suffers knowing that she destroyed the future of this family in an attempt to spare a few minutes of her time by speeding and driving reckless. Not only that, but they devastated the family members and friends of the victims as well. Makes me sick.

I was driving home last night and I saw other drivers speeding and swerving in a hurry and it made me want to pull them over and pummel their faces in. All I could think about was these stupid people destroying another family.

I hugged my infant for a long time after hearing this news. So sad.

2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

What a tragic accident. :(

3. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

that sounds awful. I really hope that woman that caused the wreck spends the rest of her life in prison.

4. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

In my prayers.

5. johan

johan Active Member

I would write a letter to the local papers & tv station, asking that a reporter do a story on this. Public sentiment against the offending driver really works.

6. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

This is why I avoid driving around xmas. A few days ago a lady in her SUV blew threw a stop sign and almost t-boned me just so she could get to best buy 10 seconds faster.

7. RachTyrTaiya

RachTyrTaiya New Member

That is really horrible.

Did you ever find out the condition of the women driving and her age?

I wouldn't be surprised if she lived . . . that's how it usually goes . . . unfair as it is.

8. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

What a horrible and tragic event :(

There'd been an accident last year around where I live, my husband's boss had helped this guy out for years. He then stole a car, was drunk, and hit a family head on. Killed their 3 year old girl. He was fine (as they always seem to be), and is now spending 25 years to life in prison.

Someone driving on the wrong side of the road this morning nearly had a head on collision with my husband. They still are hurrying all over creation. I cannot wait until the holiday season rush is over.

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Hey Dig, why don't you visit this guy in the hospital and give him your support. Your true sincere help is more then a welcome support in his life.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that we all have our times when we need to hurry home, this is especially true around christmas time. No one does that with the idea to get into an accident. You know Diggity, recently i have the feeling that you have your own life perfectly under control, but you are seeing bad things happening in your enviroment, like with your brother, or with this couple having an accident, while you have this question in your mind of 'why is this happening, why couldn't these things be prevented?'

I think you need to understand that although 'everyone is responsible for their own lives', seemingly not everyone takes responsibility for that life. Which basically means that you'll see people making the wrong irrisponsible choices. But you have to understand that attached to these choices are also consequenses. From these consequential reactions people have to learn over and over again in order to become more educated souls so to speak.

These are often dramatic events like unwarrented accidents,addications, world wars and what not. For all these things that lead to unhappyness, the people must learn to say 'never again' For these life lessons we pay a price that is in our understanding of life much too high.

In a case were you can't controll everything in life, you just try to do what you can do to improve the situation. You are only a human being, you can only do so much to steer the situation into the best direction as possible.

That being said, i don't even want to begin to think what hell this guy has got to go thru from now on. I hope that on his behalf you can support this guy. :sadwavey:

10. anomalous

anomalous New Member

That's horrible, even more so that there are still drivers that continue to drive in a similar way.

I heard a similar situation in Skokie, IL. Young woman speeding past a red light after storming off an argument with her mom. Ends up doing a head-on collision with a carpool, killing the three guys in it on their lunch break: two were married and just had kids, one was just engaged. Young woman survives and managed a very light sentence.

11. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

12. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

You are correct. She was in serious condition but is by far the best off after this accident.

I went to her wake on Monday. I have never been to a wake that was so packed. Thousands of people came to pay their respects. She really touched a lot of people.

I am a pretty mentally strong guy, but I almost broke down in front of everyone when I got up to the casket. It was closed when we arrived, because the parents didn't feel she looked enough like herself to have it open. What almost made me lose it was getting up to the casket and looking at the table beside it. There were baby bibs and clothes laid out all over that were supposed to go to the unborn twin baby girls. On top of that, there was the latest 4-D ultrasound photo's of the twins in a frame along with a poem. I seriously feel like crying even thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2008
  13. carrathanatos

carrathanatos extremely mean in the meanest way

when i hear things like this is makes me realize that speeding to save a few extra minutes really doesn't get me very far. :wtc:

14. ExegiMonumentum

ExegiMonumentum New Member

shit happends, very sad story, life ruined because of someoen's stupidity.

15. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Sad. I felt similarly horrible a few weeks back about that incident where the military jet crashed into this guy's house killing his entire family while he was away at work. Best way I've reconciled situations like this is to believe that somehow fate has a way of choosing these events for each of us no matter how senseless it may seem.

As for the reckless driver, I somehow don't feel as much hate for these people as much as I do pity...the guilt and shame they'll feel for the rest of their lives. Rather then throw her in jail, they need to make these people do a lifetime of community service educating people about not driving like an idiot. Let her relive the incident over and over and at least give back something to society.

16. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Don't feel too much pity for the driver who caused this. Apparantly she is going with the story that her blood sugar was low and she blacked out, but witnesses are saying that she was passing people on this two-lane backroad over and over again. She doesn't seem to want to accept her responsibility here and that tells me that she doesn't feel the shame she should be feeling.

17. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It could be any thousand reasons outside her control as to why she passed into that lane. I'm not sure that the motivation alone to get somewhere faster could be suitable for someone to risk driving headon into another vehicle. Manslaughter, Murder, or accident -- I don't know, I wasn't there, but ....

Those are considerations that keep me neutral presently. One thing is for sure, I sympathize greatly for a loss of that magnitude. Tragic.

18. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

I think Occums Razor fits here just fine. Witnesses said she was leap frogging to get ahead numerous times. The last time she tried this she hit them head on. Not only in their lane, but they both swurved onto the shoulder to avoid collision at the same time. I will not reserve judgement. To me, as I am not her judge, there is enough to assume guilt.

19. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Sad story and it highlights a number of things:
    a) none of us can predict when it's our time to go so live everyday like it's your last. It just might be.
    b) we drive and do so much that we sometimes take for granted that these machines can be very dangerous.
    c) women should not drive

Ok, I'm kidding about C but this is one of those accidents that touches many people in different ways.

To me, the really sad thing is that there were multiple victims in that crash, some of whom were not even present.

I tend to keep an open mind in this type of situation, especially regarding the other driver. I seriously doubt she's as flippant as you describe her.....if she is, she should be punished severely. However, most people are likely thinking like you and presenting anything she says with that bias.

Everyone makes mistakes and I would not be so quick to condemn the other driver, even if she was "leapfrogging" other cars. Keep in mind, people add bias from other driving events (such as those aggressive drivers that cut us off, tailgate and honk to let us know they aren't happy with us). Peoples frustrations with these types of events clouds their ability to be impartial and view her actions from an impartial perspective.

I'm not saying this excuses her actions in any way. I'm simply providing some perspective.

20. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

:werd:
    It's such an easy mistake. Anyone could make it.

21. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Anyone with sense wouldn't be leapfrogging cars in a two lane road that is winding left and right through hills next to a river.

22. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

It was definitely careless and stupid of her. But do you really think she meant to kill or endanger anyones life?

23. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

that's why there is a charge of manslaughter with reckless driving. :dunno:

I had a high school friend go to jail for 4 years after passing on the shoulder, crashing, and killing 3 passengers and someone in another car.

24. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

No, of course not. But that doesn't change the fact that she did, and that she deserves some time.

25. Spinkick

Spinkick Active Member

People where driving like complete fools around xmas time in my area this year. Got rear ended by a panel van because a guy was in a hurry.