TAT Beating the odds of high demand

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by TheChica504, Feb 19, 2009.

1. TheChica504

TheChica504 New Member

I have just requested an appointment for a consultation for a tattoo from Paolo Acuna from Divinity Tattoo in Scottsdale, AZ. I received a response from him saying the content of the piece might be something he is interested in doing. I am super excited because I think his work is breathtaking, and it will be my first tattoo. If I even get the project approved, appointments won't even start until December (I think he's worth every second of the wait).

My question is, for such a high-demand and highly awarded artist, what do you think are the best ways to convince him that YOUR project is worth his time? I figure I am pretty flexible on the design, but do many portfolio-hungry artists push to go bigger than you are willing to go? Also, has anyone else heard of any input on him? A friend of mine said they saw him on L.A. Ink (ugh, I shuddered when I heard that because that's so cliche), and said he came across like a total ass. I don't think it would persuade me because good work can be worth putting up with peacocking, but it's always nice to know what you're getting yourself into.

Eelliiss, Buttons, any word on the street?

At any rate, I can't wait to contribute news/pics. I'm planning on getting a plumeria half sleeve (for the flower I'm named after in Hawaiian), possibly with a hula girl inside, or some water/Hawaiian tribal accents.
    Thanks for the input!

2. eelliiss

eelliiss Active Member

I think he’s good. He seems to be a pretty accomplished artist in several different mediums which is something that I can truly respect. His work reminds me of Shotsie Gorman’s for some reason.

I think that your question is actually somewhat of a tough one. Some artists who have gained a bit of notoriety in the field do sometimes demand more artistic licensing than others when it comes tattooing. I think that once many artists have reached a certain point in their careers, they really want to be able to stand by each piece that they’ve done. This is your first tattoo, so you’ll probably want to have a little more say in what the end product will be.

In the end, you’ll just want to make sure that both of you will be reasonably happy and enthusiastic about the entire process – from the actual consultation to the end result. Otherwise, as large a piece as I’m assuming this will be, it may turn into a painful project figuratively speaking.

I really don’t know if I answered your question.

3. TheChica504

TheChica504 New Member

Thanks, totally did. I know if I were in his position, I would be just as picky. I'm not going in with an exact illustration of what I want just to see what ideas he'll run with. I'm a fairly good artist, but he's a better one, and he's going to be the one with the needle.

Can't wait to see what's going to happen. Consultation will be in a month.

Thanks!

4. eelliiss

eelliiss Active Member

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

This is the first thing I thought as well.

I saw this thread last night and was going to answer but wanted to think it over some more. I returned and looked at it again this morning, typed something out then just deleted it.

I still am unsure how to answer the question because I don't know how I feel about artists that are "portofolio chasers" and only choose to do work that they like. :dunno:

6. eelliiss

eelliiss Active Member

I think that there are a few artists that have legitimate reasons. A good example that I can cite would be Steve Moore. He stated in his website that he is a one man operation that simply cannot handle all the business that is demanded of him. His waitlist was up to 18+ months at one point and it just started to become unrealistic at times for both him and his clients. Now to cut down the wait time for those interested in his work, he picks and chooses pieces that will challenge him and peak his interest.

7. P-Nut

P-Nut Active Member

I have heard that Brandon Bond in ATL (All Or Nothing Tattoo) is selective. He has a thing for horror and "scary" tattoos.

In saying that, I have no idea if it is true, but I love the work by most of the people in his shop.