GUN bear guy > bobcat guy - Ex-Marine Kills Bear With Log

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 21, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ex-Marine Kills Bear With Log
    from WSBTV.com

HELEN - An ex-Marine used a whole lot of bravery and a little bit of luck in a harrowing encounter with a black bear.

Norcross resident Christ Everhart took his three boys on their first camping trip to the Chattahoochee National Forest last weekend. There, a 300 pound bear set her sights on their cooler. But when Chris’ son distracted the wild animal, the bear dropped the cooler and headed for the 6-year-old boy.

“He held it right here then he threw it and it went rolling and struck the bear right there,” said Jake Everhart.

Eleven-year-old Jake described how his dad kept a 300 pound black bear away from his youngest brother, Logan.

Chris Everhart and his sons were packing up after dinner when they got the unexpected guest.

The bear sunk her teeth into their cooler and was headed to the woods. Then 6-year-old Logan took action.

“I got a shovel and I tried to scare it,” said Logan.

But Logan was the one who ended up getting scared and getting the bear’s attention. The bear dropped the cooler and headed towards Logan, growling.

“When Logan was being chased by the bear, I threw about five rocks at the bear to keep him away,” said Kyle Everhart.

The boys’ dad, an ex-Marine, knew he had to do something. So he grabbed the closes thing he could find – a log.

“(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head and I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear,” said Chris.

Chris’ family will never forget the camping trip. Chris even ended up being cited for not properly storing his food, but that’s not what he feels bad about.

“I feel bad about killing the bear,” said Chris.

Officials from the Department of Natural Resources said there has never been a bear attack in Georgia. But they said there is no way to predict how wild animals will behave. The best advice is to keep food and garbage away from the reach of bears.

Copyright 2007 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Bobcat guy>bear guy. I'd say choking a rabid animal to death is more hardcore than killing one with a log.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

not properly storing food? how the fuck are you supposed to store stuff except in a cooler? :rofl:

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That bobcat looked like it was in the pretty late stages, I'd be suprised if it weighed more then 15lbs. Going after a 300lbs bear with a stick > choking a sickly kittah.

5. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

You're supposed to hang your food in the air if there are bears around.

6. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I've never quite understood that, won't it cause the scent to travel further?

7. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Yeah, and it's not like bears can climb trees or anything....

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

how the fuck are you to know bears are around until they've already stolen your food :o

9. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

your supposed to hang it in a tree but far enough from the trunk so a bear cant reach.

or in a locking metal box provided in the area (bear box)

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Ah, that's a little more sensible I suppose. Makes it awfully hard for people to get to as well though.

Scary thing is I was camping in that area about 3 weeks ago with some friends! Fortunately we had our food tucked away...

11. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

How do you eat if your food is hanging in a tree? It says they were packing up after dinner.

12. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

What he said.

You throw a rope over a branch, tie it to your cooler, then hoist it up and tie it off.

The bear can't jump that high and if they climb the tree, they won't go on the branch (I guess they're afraid?) They smell it, but they give up realizing they cannot get to it.

Although I've heard of some bears that have figured out to knaw the roap till it falls, then when the cooler busts open after falling, they feast like kings.

Dunno, all we have around here are punny black and brown bears.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Then they search for sleeping campers? I rather they ate my food :o

14. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

He didn't choke the bear out though.

bobcat guy > this dude

15. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

I've always heard to tie your food up in a canvas or heavy duty sack. Then find two trees approximately 15 feet apart and suspend the bag in the air between them, and about 8 feet off the ground. That way the bear won't be tall enough to get it, and he can't climb the tree and get to it.

16. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

accidently too

17. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

when I went canoing in the Boundary Waters of north Minnesota, our outfitter had bear barrels. It was pretty much a blue plastic drum, about the size of a keg that had a locking ring around the top that was apparently an air tight seal. It kept us from having to hoist the food into the trees every night.

18. Blip

Blip Active Member

The bear sunk her teeth into their cooler and was headed to the woods. Then 6-year-old Logan took action.

“I got a shovel and I tried to scare it,” said Logan.

Wait, so the bear was leaving and the little kid grabbed a shovel and tried to scare it, causing it to come at him?

Logan=dumbass! Unless they were gonna stave without that food or something.

19. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

When you look at it that way, some states would charge the kid as an accessory to murder.

20. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Who the fuck got the idea to quote a 6 and 11 year old in order to explain what happened? Kids are awful at explaining shit.

21. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

For posterities sake, you're an ex-Marine if you were dishonorably discharged. Honorable discharge Marines are referred to as former Marines or just Marines.