be a nice feature of does this already exist?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Feb 6, 2003.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

be a nice feature if or does it already exist?

When I listen to music, I hear other sounds on the computer to, like error, exclamation, or when I am specially on AOL, I have to close my buddy list out, or when the IM chimes, etc etc. Pretty common on most systems, something ive ajusted to, but, my computer system is hooked into a surround sound system, with a 300 watt sub-woofer. So it gets anoying from time to time.

Anyway something Ive been meaning to look into for a few months now but never gotten around to it but what would be nice, is if I can select what output/input to turn up and down, so like I can listen to MP3's at the volume I want, but for example turn MSN/AIM/AOL chimes down. Something like this exist?

edit it, make sense if my subject was typed out right :squint: :rofl:

be a nice feature or does this already exist? is what its supposed to say!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2003
  2. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

I've thought about this too. The problem is that both are controlled by the WAV volume. The only solution that pops to mind is to somehow programatically (ex)change the wav files for quieter ones. Highly doable I think, but I've been too lazy to.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

On my Linux box, only one program can output to /dev/dsp1 at a time. So, if I'm listening to music, I don't hear the chimes and such (most of which are turned off anyway because they're annoying) at all.

4. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

I turn off all sounds, that shit gets annoying.

5. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

I turn off all windows sounds and AIM sounds

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

yea ive considered re-doing all my system sounds so i can listen to Mp3's in the sense that I would like to and still be able to hear system sounds at low volume. If I get to listening to the song I want I tend to block out other things, but the sub-woofer really vibrates the walls sometimes.

Mine dont, i still hear other system sounds. redhat 7.3 with s.blaster audigy... no biggie just figured there might be a work around! :)

7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

That would be cool... But which one would you get to play on the tenth of a speaker? :confused: