BCAAs on non lifting days?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Creator, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I started taking 2 scoops of EXTND BCAA right after I lift.

Is it worth it taking it on non lifting days? If so, how much and does it matter when?

Should I be taking more than 2 scoops on lifting day?

The package says to take double that (2 after lifting, and another serving of 2 some other time in the day) but often they say to take a lot more than you need to drive up sales.

2. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I take Purple Wraath and Purple Intrain everyday.
    Then again I don't have a non lifting day.
    Unless I was cutting I probably wouldn't take it on off days.

3. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

IMO i think they actually understate your needs. i mix xtend with cheap bulk BCAA for flavoring but i consume MUCH more than the recommended dosage pre and post. i only take them pre, during, and post workout not at random times during the day.

i also only use them when i feel like my last meal wasn't close enough to my workout. if i ate within 1.5 hours i usually don't use them pre :dunno:

4. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

There are no studies confirming BCAAs' effectiveness in stopping muscle catabolism. If you're on an off day, as long as you're consuming complete amino acid profiles in your regular food, the BCAAs are probably unnecessary.

5. smb is me

smb is me New Member

. for all of the above...what they said.

however, shits pretty cheap, it wouldn't kill u to take them everyday just in case.

6. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Theres nothing cheap about xtend

7. woot

woot wo

shit is so fucking expensive.

8. smb is me

smb is me New Member

lol, well my generic tasteless stuff is pretty cheap. or at least i thought it was, i didn't really pay that much attention when ordering from bb.com, just went crazy and ordered everything i wanted.

9. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

1000g of pure bcaa runs ~$40

xtend flavor is mad strong, i usually do like 2 scoops bulk aminos to 1 scoop xtend

10. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Eat protein

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

If you're going to use them, just use leucine instead of all three BCAAs. It's cheaper that way.

Amino Acids. 2009 Nov 1. [Epub ahead of print]

Distinct anabolic signalling responses to amino acids in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells.

Atherton PJ, Smith K, Etheridge T, Rankin D, Rennie MJ.

Division of Clinical Physiology, School of Graduate Entry Medicine and Health, University of Nottingham, Uttoxeter Road, Derby, DE22 3DT, UK, [email protected].

The essential amino acids (EAA) activate anabolic signalling through mechanisms, which are unclear in detail but include increased signalling through the mammalian target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1). Of all the EAA, the branched chain amino acid (BCAA) leucine has been suggested as the most potent in stimulating protein synthesis, although there have been no studies investigating the effects of each EAA on anabolic signalling pathways. We therefore undertook a systematic analysis of the effect of each EAA on mTORC1 signalling in C2C12 myotubes whereby cells were serum (4 h) and amino acid (1 h) starved before stimulation with 2 mM of each amino acid. Immunoblotting was used to detect phosphorylated forms of protein kinase B (Akt)/mTORC1 signalling enzymes. The phosphorylation of Akt was unchanged by incubation with EAA. Phosphorylation of mTOR and 4E binding protein-1 (4EBP1) were increased 1.67 +/- 0.1-fold and 2.5 +/- 0.1-fold, respectively, in response to leucine stimulation but not in response to any other EAA. The phosphorylation of ribosomal s6 kinase (p70S6K1) was increased by stimulation with all EAA with the exceptions of isoleucine and valine. However, the increase with leucine was significantly greater, 5.9 +/- 0.3-fold compared to 1.6-2.0-fold for the non-BCAA EAA. This pattern of activation was identical in ribosomal protein s6 (RPS6) with the additional effect of leucine being 3.8 +/- 0.3-fold versus 1.5-2.0-fold. Phosphorylation of eukaryotic initiation/elongation factors eIF2alpha and eEF2 were unaffected by EAA. We conclude that leucine is unique amongst the amino acids in its capacity to stimulate both mTOR and 4EBP1 phosphorylation and to enhance p70S6K1 signalling.

12. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

In young subjects, muscle protein synthesis was maximized with an intake of 10 g EAAs and there was no further increase with 20 g EAAs.

13. Abomb

Abomb New Member

how often are you supposed to ingest those 10g eaas over the course of a day?

14. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

on an unrelated note ceaze - i tried PMing you about this but couldn't. i remember you saying once "by the time you feel DOMS any muscle growth/repair is already finished"

can you elaborate on that? i'm not challenging you i'm just interested in a further explanation.

15. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i'd assume pre/during/post workout

16. woot

woot wo

I might try this. Last time I tried bulk bcaa I fucking threw up a little my mouth. Shit is mad nasty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.