BC Pills

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Amanda Ann, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Just looking for advice and personal experience here, not looking to be educated on birth control in general - I've been using some form of it for over 7 years now.

I've been on the depo shot for four years now. I decided that after my last injection (in Sept) I was through with it. I wasn't digging some of the research I was reading about its effect on bone density/calcium depletion in women, nor can I say I was too crazy about dropping my pants and getting an injection in the ass every 3 months. That being said, I informed my gyno of this at my annual appt. three weeks ago. She was okay with it, and offered suggestions of other options. I'm not crazy about the patch or the ring because I hear so many mixed arguments, and I'm pretty sure my insurance company won't cover the IUD. Basically, I'm looking at the pill again (I was on ortho Tricyclen for 3 years before I started Depo). I did tell her that the one thing I enjoyed about Depo was losing my period over the four years I was on it. I am def looking for something (somewhat) similar. She threw out that new pill at me - Lybrel, but I'm not sure how I feel about taking something that is that new.

Long story short, she suggested Seasonique. Periods 4 times a year sounds much better than 12 or 13, but she also mentioned that many women experience intermenstrual bleeding and such. Does anyone have any experience with this pill? I'm anxious to start the pill, but I have until end of Nov/beginning of Dec until I actually have to.

Also, I've been seeing commercials for Yaz alot. Their whole "3 days" periods seems catchy. Does anyone have any experience with this pill either? I'm trying to explore my options here. I currently have a starter pack for Seasonique, but I'd like to hear some input from others before I commit to it. Thanks! :wavey:

2. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I've been on Depo for ~7 years now, and I wasnt too excited about that new research either, but my OB told me that the studies also show that once you get off of it, you density comes back to normal (something usually left to the fine print of scary website warnings) so I stopped worrying about it.

I cant offer any other experience though (sorry). I am really interested to hear how your transition from Depo -> Pills goes though. I know eventually I'll have to get off Depo (I wanna have kids someday and it takes a while to get out of your system) so I'm thinking of doing the "step down" too. I'm especially curious how long it'll take you to have periods again, and how the 1st one goes. I'm scared it'll take me forever to get back on a cycle and when I do it'll be the worst PMS ever. :noes:

3. Lovely Atlantis

Lovely Atlantis Luscious Lovely Lady!

I was on Yasmine (I think that's what you were referring to when you said "yaz"). You only get a short period. And also because it's a monophasic pill you can just go directly from one pack to another without stopping to get a period. I would take 4 packages and then get a period. SO basically I only had a period every 3 1/2 months. I experienced no bleeding inbetween- which I DID have a problem with when I did the same thing with allesse.

4. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I thought they were different. A friend of mine was on one (dunno which) and they (the health center at school) got mixed up and gave her the wrong one. I think one is "low dose" and the other is more like regular Orthotricyclen?
    :dunno:

5. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I'm on Seasonique. I absolutely love it. It's so convenient. What kinds of questions do you have?

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Yasmin and Yaz are different pills. I've been on Yasmin for years and have never had a problem with it, I've had many girl friends switch to it who loved it as well.

7. Stargazer

Stargazer New Member

I'm not sure if Seasonique replaced Seasonale or what, but I used to take Seasonale a few years back. Having a period every few months is what attracted me to the pill b/c I had been taking ortho tricyclen-lo. However, I did experience the break-through bleeding. My doc said that it's a very common side effect and should go away and it did..then it came back, not bad, but still annoying.

So in the end, I switched back to ortho-lo. I'm thinking about trying something new as well, but I love the low hormone dosage in my current BC pill. :dunno:

Good luck w/ your search - personal experience is the best advice!

8. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

You realize you can stop your periods with any birth control right? Those "seasonal" pills aren't anything new, all they do is skip the week of placebo pills. You can do that with any pill and with the ring and patch you can just skip the week where you go without and go right onto the next one.

9. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I'm on Seasonale right now and I've been on it since january. this is my 3 cycle on it and the first 2 cycles i got a light period at week7 as opposed to only at week 13. it's expected while your body is getting used to it that you may get some spotting between periods. AND if you are like me that went from HEAVY 10 day periods, it's better to get a light spotting for 3 day inthe middle of a 12 week cycle than 3 heavy periods.

10. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Ive tried the patch and nearly every type of BC pill. Im on Yaz and periods for me usually last 4 days, start to absolute finish.

In respect to Seasonale...I dont have person experience with it, but there is something comforting about getting my period each month, knowing Im not pregnant. I would be devastated if I was to get pregnant in month 1 while on Seasonale or similar BC, then not know I was pregnant for at least three months.

Taking monophasic BC pills back to back,skipping the inactive, does not mean you will not have breakthrough bleeding. Some womens bodies can do it, some cant. Different folks, different strokes.

11. DarkAngel19

DarkAngel19 New Member

Whoa, justame, I thought you were a guy this whole time! Nice to see you are one of the ladies:)

If you really don't want to worry about BC, just make the quick phonecall to your insurance co. and ask about Merina, the IUD. I absolutely LOVE it, and my periods are next to nothing if I have them at all. I can definitely have sex during them and my SO doesn't even know the difference. It's in for 5 years, no hassle, no thought, nothing. Just check!

I was on one of the 'skip periods' pills and it messed up my cycles so I never stopped having a period for 4 months... it wasn't heavy but still, ALL THE TIME. I think our bodies really do differ enough so that you should just pick one that you are comfortable with and just do it. They aren't THAT different.

Though as a warning (to everyone), I messed around with my BC for about 6 months trying to end my weird reaction and prolonged bleeding and it caused a huge blood clot in my leg. You read about them in the fine print, but don't assume it won't happen to you. Be careful, and if you legs starts to swell and be painful, go to the emergency room right away. I waited and it almost killed me.

Men don't have to go through any of this crap!!

DA

12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

no shit...me too. lol

13. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

ditto

14. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

How did you all not know JMT was a girl? :rofl:

15. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:dunno:Well she used to have that AV of Carlos Mencina, I think, and I've never seen a post that addressed her gender.

16. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Ok sorry guys, hectic day.. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm also very curious to see how the whole transition from depo to pill will work out. That's pretty much what my apprehension is. I guess the whole period factor really isn't related to what BC I'm on, technically I can eliminate my period on any pill. I am worried about the break through bleeding the most.

I guess I could give my insurance company a call this week and ask about Mirena. If they would cover that I would love it. I do not plan on starting a family in the next 5 years. I'll just be getting my doctorate in 4 years, so that's not a facor.

To those who mentioned they were on Seasonale/Seasonique, how was your break through bleeding? Did you notice and major bloating in general? Sore boobs? Appearance of acne? Those really are my main concerns with it.

Sorry for not quoting anyone, I suck, but I'm feeling very lazy right now. Thanks!

17. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Maybe around the end of the first when I would have gotten my period, but very little and none since. It's been great. No major physical side affects, none I can think of actually...No problems with sore boobs, weight gain, acne, or anything like that. The only down side I've found is that your monthly remind that you're not preggo isn't there. It was a little stressful the first few months. I got a stomach bug and was freaking out that it was morning sickness. That's really the thing that has gotten to me, you don't know for sure every month that you're not pregnant. But if you start to feel like that, just grab a test and you're fine. I plan to stick with this pill long term. I talked to my doc and they said I can even skip my periods completely if I want, not just have them once every three months. It's so nice! :wiggle:

18. Stargazer

Stargazer New Member

Nothing major with me....boobs were a little more tender during that time of the month (well, every 3 months I guess), but only on the first day or two...nothing horrible. The breakthrough bleeding wasn't extreme, just a PITA b/c you never knew when it was going to happen and for me, it's not like it was enough to wear a tampon or anything like that. I've never had side effects such as acne from any BC so that wasn't a prob w/ Seasonale either.

GL!

19. Leah

Leah OT Supporter

I was on the Depo shot for a couple of years and I hated it. I gradually ballooned, gaining almost 25 lbs. on a very small frame...I looked terrible and didn't really notice because it had been such a drawn out process. But after being off of the shot for only a couple of weeks, I had already lost 5 lbs. and I've since gone down to my high school weight. :hsd:

It's interesting how different all forms of BC are for different women. Now I use the patch and I think it's great. :dunno: I haven't gained any weight, my periods are normal (on the shot, I didn't have a period at all and I thought that was just weird...), and it's been perfectly effective so far. *knock on wood* But some women have absolutely nothing good to say about it.

A friend of mine does Yaz and even though I know nothing about how it works, she says it's great.

20. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Carlos, funny man...adored by both sexes :wiggle: