BC info from peer reviewed sources, lets work together to get this accurate

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by demosnat, Jul 24, 2008.

1. demosnat

demosnat New Member

n this thread we will post research/facts about birth control from PEER REVIEWED resources
    We can bitch at each other all day about what we think is best as far as BC goes, condoms? Pills? Both? Lets make a thread just on the facts.
    Lets discuss it solely with peer reviewed studies/evidence, not our opinions/anecdotal evidence, post evidence, post source. Opinions/bitching stays in other thread plskthanks

Note wikipedia is not a source, anything ending in .com is not a source, peer reviewed, scientific articles only.

2. demosnat

demosnat New Member

http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...h/ssc/bcps.htm

It only recommends back up birth control methods for the first seven days of hormonal birth control use.
    It recommends the use of condoms, but NOT to further prevent pregnancy.

3. demosnat

demosnat New Member

The pill, when taken correctly, has a .1% failure rate
    Male sterilization, when done correctly, has a .1% failure rate

-FDA

4. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Condoms, with correct use, have a 3% failure rate. Similarly,
    Pull out, with correct use, has a 4% failure rate.

-FDA

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Are the rates for the ring and the patch as high as they are with the pill?

I'd search but I have like 40 Firefox tabs open right now and I don't want my computer to explode.

6. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Here is a list of birth control failure rates during the first year of use, comparing typical and correct use.

LINK

Though I do agree with demonstat, I agree with her only with perfect use. Unfortunately humans arent perfect, even when we try to be. With perfect use, double methods of birth control are not needed, but with typical use, it does decrease the likelihood for failure.

One thing I would like to bring up, though there is no medical proof or peer reviews that I can find, is what about the psychological aspect of using two forms? If it makes one feel more comfortable, and enjoy it more, wouldnt it be worth it?

To answer falconer:
    Failure rates typical vs correct

Pill: 8% vs. <1%
    Ring: 8% vs. <1%
    Patch: 8% vs <1%

So yes they are the same. the only things with a smaller percentage with typical use are the IUD and Depo (and breast feeding). ie. two methods where the person does not have daily control.

7. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

Yes, about 1% (FDA). The advantage to these is that it's really difficult to avoid "perfect use." The patch stays on, the ring stays in. You can, in fact, take the ring out for up to 3 hours during each 24-hour period (NuvaRing fact sheet). If it is out for more than 3 hours, a backup method of contraception needs to be used for 7 days.