BBS Anyone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Sep 16, 2003.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

We've had a bunch of talk about "the good old days" in a few threads.

Anyone interested in reliving? I've installed a rather popular BBS (Worldgroup/GComm/MajorBBS0 software on my machine at home, and is telnetable. I have room for 250 connections. Rob has tested it for me, and works perfectly from any ANSI-capable telnet client.

If there is enough interest, I will happily post my IP for all to enjoy once it's running smoothly and looks like it should.

Who's interested?

2. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

What the heck. I would like to take a look.. PM me with it if you don't want to give it out..

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Oh man, this brings back memories. :big grin:

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

:eek: me me me me me!

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Would have so done this a while ago... I've been too lazy to try learning an IP friendly BBS package.

I had thought about doing this. The idea behind it wasn't just to relive memories, but to drive "things" back underground. With all the port scanning, packet sniffing, and RIAA stuff going on, it would be nice to be not so public (referring to dialup access only).

I've also spent a little bit of time trying to figure out how to do this in a browser. One thought is a Java client that runs from within the browser, but that takes some of the fun out of it.

So, you have any good doors?

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i've actually seen a java-based unix terminal on the web about a year ago. It was really sweet. Along those same lines, the bbs idea in the browser would be awesome.

7. MP

MP New Member

coolness

8. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

in!

good idea :)

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Java makes sense. The thought of creating scripts to match/simulate a BBS had me really fired up. The trick is the amount of work involved. And then the idea of enforcing user authentication at the beginning of the site was kind of odd - you just don't see it on websites today (unless it is a forum - and only if you plan on posting usually). The idea isn't dead, but its taking a break to make room for other ideas that might earn me money :).

10. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I was too young and sheltered to use the BBS's but I am definantly in for this.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Heh, me too. I was around towards the end of the BBS's, but I was too young to be a part of them.

But, yea, I'd give it a try just to see how people lived before they had running water and stuff ;)

12. Leb_CRX

damn young punks, up to no good

when I was your age I was running a 2400 baud rate modem, and had to use manual init strings...ath, atha, and shit like that

damn punks

haha just messing...

13. switched

switched Guest

I miss all the BBS door games :wtc:

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I was a professional leech. I posted just enough messages and files to keep some form of download ratio. I think I got booted off one board because of that...

I was sort of known for my ANSI animations and graphics. They weren't skills I could take with me so I dived into programming and added functionality to an Apple BBS app called ACOS (I forgot what it stood for now). It was like BASIC so no rocket science there.

But the best time was when one local board got pissed when another local board copied their idea of hosting term papers. Wow! There was all out hacking going on on each other's boards and members prank calling the other board's members. It was rather childish, but at the time, it was entertainment!

Back then, there were "sysops"... I miss those days. If you ran a board, you knew someone was logged in when you could hear the hard drive activety from 10 feet away. The question then was if you could guess who was logged in or not either by the level of hard drive activity or the hour of the day (the BBSs I ran were mainly used by my circle of friends).

15. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

i may not've used the BBS's but I sure played the heck out of my Commodore64

16. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I used to run a BBS back in the day called The Aftermath on C64's All American BBS. It was written mostly in BASIC with a handful of ML for the author's backdoor which eventually people figured out. But you still had to dial in and I watched someone go thru the motions of accessing the admin panel and finally broke in and said hello to the guy and played it like he was the author (Nick Smith seems to ring a bell for some reason). He tried to act like him but I finally tripped him up and he logged off :rofl:. I had a 1581 3.5" which was the next best thing to a HD back then and you could put a LOT of games on that (double sided y0!). My best friend got caught for phreaking over to Europe where the best games were coming from - some of the intro screens were amazing that they came up with.

It lasted all of a year in the end - people started switching over to Amiga and x86 platforms soon after.

17. RaginBajin

haha yeah. In New Mexico, they were really big.. I think one of the local BBS's were the first people to actually offer a ppp type of connection. It was the hugest thing. Then AOL, and some of these other places jumped on board and there went their clientel. Actually, some of these BBS's are still active, you just telnet into their service. For some reason they are suriving even after still asking for a membership fee.

I had a friend who actually ran one. His parents were pretty well off, so they could afford the extra phone lines, and extra computers, etc. It was crazy. I remember playing games like Legend of the Red Dragon a lot too.

The little "wars" that went on were pretty funny come to think about it. Very childish like you said, but fun at the same time. :rofl:

18. DatacomGuy

Actually this software features an HTML interface as well as telnet'able. I have the box turned off right now, but I hope to have it fully configured and usable by tonight or tomorrow with some doors..

Trying to find a good source for some old Worldgroup games like T-Lord, Lunatix, MajorMUD, and Usurper.... :hinthint:

I also have some outgoing internet features (FTP, Telnet) through the board as well. :bigthumb:

19. DatacomGuy

:werd: We had one in my old town too. TNT Online.. one of the first large BBS's (over 25 dialup lines) and it was actually a consultant firm that ran it in the back of their office and it turned into a full-blown ISP. They were the first in the area to offer PPP and SLIP connections for INTERNET (rofl - using IE v3 was the NEW thing). BBS still exists and is fully telnetable. tntonline.com I believe, but it sucks now. No one goes on it (naturally).

20. DatacomGuy

Need some opinions on the design and layout. Would you guys like to see a board that is similiar to OT, with a friendly OT type appearance..

..or would you like to see a more 'underground' appearance with 'underground' features.. :dunno:

All the boards I've ran in the past were 'underground' type boards.. Just looking for opinions!

21. RaginBajin

I would say go old school with the underground appearance..

22. DatacomGuy

That's the direction I'm leaning.

I just need a name guys. :bigok: Any thoughts and suggestions?

23. Leb_CRX

OT's old sk00l crew

haha

24. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

If you can capture that BBS look/feel of the late 80s, then I'd be impressed. So, does your BBS support RIP and RIPTerm? I think that was the last goofy protocol that came to be before the 'net took over...

25. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Tradewars plz :o