battery terminals for multi awg wires

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mojo, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

first off, heres a list of what wires are exactly attached to my factory battery post terminals.

on the positive + terminal is: 4awg power wire for stereo, 18/16awg foglight wire, another 4awg for voltage system, the factory wires which i believe are 12awg? AND another 4awg for the future cause im doing ghr big-3 upgrade

on the negative - side are: 18/16awg foglight wire, 4awg for voltage system, factory wires (12awg?) AND soon to be 4awg for the big three upgrade (step 1: neg to chassis).

all of my wires already have terminals on it, in order to use a battery terminal, do i have to snap off the terminals of the facotry wire, foglight wire, stereo wire, and wire it directly into the battery terminal with just its bare wire copper and tightened by an allen wrench? its just like the power/remote/speaker slots off an amp right?... where you just use an allen wrench to tighten the slot.

is it safe to use battery terminals?
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/LITBCMON1 i was looking at lightning audios here, would i be able to fit in the factory wires and foglight wires into a 8awg slot?

and lastly, will i be able to put back on the factory terminals? i ask because i know i will put everything back the way it was from the factory before selling.

im brand new to these battery terminals, please bare with me :hs:

thanks

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i have a set of monster battery terminals. there are two allen screws on top for power wires and three set screws used for the stock wiring. look around sounddomain.com to check out other types and buy the best style for your needs.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i bought the scosche terminals from wally world, and they're nice. It also helps gettings a GM-style replacement battery with sideposts, so that you can leave your OEM wires alone, and have 2 more posts to run new terminals and accessories to.

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

gm battery taps are good if you're using an aftermarket battery like optimas or orbitals, i cant tell if hes stock or not.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yeah, my interstate replacement battery had both side posts and top posts.... very nifty for aftermarket accessories.

if you go with the optima/exide orbitals, then they make distribution blocks that sit right on top of those batts.

6. Tyrexx

Tyrexx OT Supporter

You need dual posts battery, Optimas are great.