Battery? Stator? Voltage regulator?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by grizzy, Sep 5, 2009.

1. grizzy

grizzy OT Supporter

I've got a 1996 zx6r, and something in the electrical system is dead. The bike ran well for a while except at lower RPM's, and I thought it was a pilot jet issue. I've been playing with them for a while and it never seems to get better. Well today while testing the jetting, the bike died when i came to a stop. Got it to start and got it home (stayed inside my neighborhood), and it wouldn't start at all when i got home. Jumped it and no more than 30 seconds after taking the jumper cables off, the bike died. Got out the multi meter and it holds about 11.5 volts when it's off, and as soon as I start the bike and take the jumper cables off, the battery voltage goes down slowly. If I leave the jumper cables on long enough to quick charge the battery to read 12 volts and try to start it, as soon as I hit the starter button the battery reads about 9v. If i rev the bike to about 3k and hold it there, the voltage goes back up to 12.5 and stays there as long as i'm on the gas. Does this sound like a battery or stator or voltage regulator problem?

2. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

edit: bad advice (except the part about needing to see the schematic to know for sure) as totensiebush has so elequently pointed out, by calling me a retard.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  3. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

you're a retard. all modern bikes have regulator/rectifier combos, so bypassing it would feed the battery AC.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

I read the title and keep hearing "Interior Crocodile Alligator (I Drive a Chevrolet Movie Theater)" in my head

5. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

:rofl: