Battery not holding charge?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by iridium130, Jan 24, 2008.

1. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Hey guys, I'm a Mac Shacker, but I recently pulled my old Asus M5N out of the closet to start using it again (need to run GMAT program with it).

I haven't used for quite a long time so I plugged it in and started charging it, updating and defragging it (8 hrs :ugh: )

After all was said and done, I unplugged it to take it with me to another room and it just shut off. Basically the battery won't hold a charge anymore.

Does Windows have a battery meter checking tool? Or does anybody have any suggestions about bringing this thing "back to life"? :x:

2. awns729

awns729 New Member

Ubuntu 7.10 (or 7.4, maybe even older versions?) has a lot of useful info on your battery. Just pop in a live CD and click on the battery/AC power icon on the top right once it loads up, it'll tell you the capactiy (mine holds 85% charge right now, for example), and it tells you a bunch of other stuff about it too. So that'll tell you what's up.

There might be a way to use a special charger to birng it back (not sure on this, but i've read some random articles), someoen can tell you more on that. Or Ebay yourself a new battery if anything. If it's still under warrranty, Asus mght replace it, but you said it's old so I don't know.

3. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Hmm thanks, I'll give Ubuntu a try. Worst case scenario is eBay for a new battery but I"m not so keen on spending money on a new battery since my iBook is working fine, but meh...

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Windows will do all that too. Look under power options in control panel.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Lithium batteries have a long shelf life, but they absolutely must be charged when you store them. Actually, all rechargeables must be recharged when you store them, or else they go dead permanently.

Time to buy a new battery.

6. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

I distinctly remembered having a full charge on it when I put it away...oh well :hsd:

7. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

0% charge on my battery :ugh:

Guess I'm SOL :mamoru:

8. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

your battery is dead. I just Resurrected a 2 year old laptop a few days ago. I EBAYed a battery just as you are going to

9. deusexaethera

Did you remove the battery, or did you leave it in the computer?

10. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Left it in the computer...maybe that's why :dunno:

11. deusexaethera

Yeah, if the battery is left electrically-connected to the machine, the machine will use up the charge a tiny bit at a time. Theoretically, it should take a few months of being off just to drain a little coin battery, but the electronic switches that control power flow will bleed current too.

Any time you store something for a long time, you should take the batteries out. As long as the contacts are touching metal, the batteries will dischange.