Battery hot swapping

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Oct 28, 2004.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i used to have a titanium powerbook g4 which seemed to have some sort of battery backup...so when i was low on battery or just when i needed to take the battery out, i would close the laptop so it would go to sleep and then i could take the battery out without shutting down the computer...put the new battery in, and just wake the computer up

now i have a new dell inspiron 9100 and i cannot do this...when i close it to go to sleep and take the battery out, it just dies...does anyone know if there is any hot swapping of batteries ability on this laptop?

thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my dell (alibiet different model) had a Fn+B that would put me into a "battery-swap" sleep that gave me 30 seconds to remove the batt and put a new one in.

Now my gateway lets me have 2 batteries at once (while keeping the cd/dvd still in) so I don't have this problem :grin:

3. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

what did the function button look like? looking at mine, my function + f3 key has a picture of an empty battery on it :dunno:

edit: when i press them, nothing happens that i notice

what were the steps you took when you pressed function+b?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that was the key combo... Function + the "b" key. (between the v and n).

The screen would blank off, hard drive would cycle down, then the power light would go off and the battery light would blink. I could then remove the drained battery and replace it with a fresh one and push the power switch to bring the system back.

When the dell died I took it apart and it was basically just a small battery pack in there.

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

You are probably suspending the machine to RAM and not a a disk. I think windows calls one Sleep and one Hibernate. You need to hibernate the machine because when everything is suspended to RAM and you pull the battery everything in the RAM is gone.