GUN Batons and Michigan Law

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DieselBoost410, Nov 16, 2004.

1. DieselBoost410

DieselBoost410 New Member

Hi,

I go to college in Flint Michigan, and as some of you may know, its pretty rough here. Lately, several people I know have been mugged and beaten, and I decided its time to at least carry something to offer a bit more protection. I'm 20, and too young for a handgun, and well, not looking for that type of firepower anyways. I have been looking at retractable batons to carry and they seem to be a cost effective solution. I just wanted to know if they were legal in michigan. It is a retractable steel 21 inch police baton. What do u guys think?

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If I remember, they are illegal in Michigan to carry unless you are an LEO or certified security.

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Illegal in Michigan

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

What about OC?

www.warriormindset.com/Articles/article-pepper.htm

If you are that concerned the first thing you need is some defense training. Carrying a tool of defense does not mean that you know how to effectively use it especially under extreme stress. A gun, knife, OC or baton is not a talisman in that it will not ward off evil on its own. You still have to deploy and use them effectively while in the fight.

5. DieselBoost410

Thanks for the responses guys.

OC-well from what I heard, the local Flintoids have built up a resistance to it and use it now as hot sauce. I do know of a couple people that tried to use it and it didn't deter the criminals because they were on PCP.

Is it illegal to just carry a baton or michicgan, or would it be illegal to own and keep in the house?

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

A baton sitting at home won't do you a damn bit of good if you get mugged on the street. A baton isn't a good solution IMO, it takes extensive training to be used correctly, otherwise you won't be able to do shit with it.

Get some good OC if you don't want to carry a firearm, Fox Labs 5.3 comes to mind.

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You can't build up a resistance to the physical effects of OC. You can build up resistance to the psychological effects though. Did you bother to read the article I posted?

Nothing will work 100% which is why you have to learn to stay in the fight, keep thinking and not rely on tools to save your ass.

A baton kept at home? Are you going to run home to get it when you need it? Would a baton even work on someone who is on PCP? Probably not very well.

Seriously, if you are that worried about defense against someone on PCP your options are very limited.

8. DieselBoost410

Woah, I was making a joke about the whole Flintoids resistance thing. I guess you'd have to live here to understand that....anyways....the baton at home thing is for break-ins. There have been a record number of break ins later but thats not the point anymore. U guys have obviously made a point against the baton, so its no longer an option.

I'm just trying to figure out options. My school is smack dab in the middle of the ghetto, and its a scary thought to have to walk to the Academic building at nite and have to worry what could happen. Seriously, do I want to die cuz some crackhead needs a dollar. No.

I will consider OC. It seems to be a common point you guys are making. Thanks guys

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The benefit of having a collapsible baton is that it is compact for carrying on your person. If you are going to use something in your house just about anything could work as a baton.

Batons tend to work on people who just need a little help doing something you want them to do. They don't tend to work on someone who is really wanting to do you harm. If you start smacking bad guys in the head in the eyes of the law you are using just as much deadly force as if you were shooting or stabbing them. OC is much further down the force continuum and will give you more distance when properly deployed. OC has its own issues (cross contamination, time delay for full effect, limited supply, training) but it is a great tool if used properly.

The first priority for defense is MINDSET. Always be aware of your surroundings. Don't just look; see. Keep your head up. If something starts and you are going to have to fight you must be aggressive and don't let yourself get behind the curve. Be ready to fight. Be ready to run. The important thing is to be ready.

10. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

You would only be beaten stupid with it. A better weapon is a stun-gun (scary looking when activated) or pepper mace (not the keychain shit, but the good stuff). Or both.

11. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

FUCK I was gonna buy an asp to carry until I got my ccw :(

12. Platinum_Thunder

I would say the bst way to not make yourself a victim would be to not act like a victim. Be aware of your surroundings, make eye contact with people. Know what they are doing....and RUN. :o

13. Platinum_Thunder

:ugh:

14. Platinum_Thunder

I didn't even read that you wrote that :madfawk:

15. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I hope your kidding. Stun guns require you to be in direct contact with your attacker, and are often times not effective if the person is wearing thick clothing.

Tasers are fuggin expensive, usually $500 +, and for that amount of $$$$ you might as well just buy a gun.

Btw, most states don't permit the carry of electrical devices (tasers and stun guns).

16. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Sure. Whatever. Plagiarist.

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Get a bunch of keys on a heavy duty "keychain".

2lb metal flail to the mugger's mug = you are the winner

18. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

stun guns = teh suck. I would much rather have a 16-20" heavy ass baton in my hand than a stun gun.

Also, yes I do agree if you HAVE to fight, you need to be as aggressive as possible, don't just put your hands up and hope for the best.

On a sidenote, it was quite fun to watch my buddy put a stun gun on his arm, shock himself and throw the gun across the room lol

19. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

What school? I go to kettering... I have a 26" baton that I ordered from jago. I know they are illegal but im willing to take my chances. I have my gun at my g/f's house which is like right next to the academic building. Also one of her roomates has a ccw. I would suggest a gun and when you turn 21 get your ccw.

20. DieselBoost410

Hey I go to Kettering too....Kick ass. Then you know what goes on too. One of my friends was beaten a couple weeks ago and it has freaked me out. ALot of you guys pointed out that the best offense is to keep aware, whatnot. However, these flintoids are awfully weird lately, and they really have nothing better to do than mugg and rob.

Internal-you a or b section. I'm a b-section right now. I'm totally for a handgun and I am in the trap and skeet club, but I have to wait another 6 months before I'm 21.

21. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

In Indiana you can carry starting at 18 so I carried all the way through college. It sucks that you have to wait until 21.

Shooting trap and skeet isn't going to help you defend yourself on the street. See if there is a boxing or jujitsu club at your school and use the next 6 months to learn the basics of empty hand work.

22. DieselBoost410

Part of trap and skeet here is shooting handguns too. We get the chance to go to the handgun range and shoot targets too. I'm not too good with a handgun yet, but I will probably buy one on my work terms and practice every weekend.

So far, I agree with all of ShackleMeNot's Advice. If anything, I will take a class when I get back on work term. There are several great places around where I live.

23. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

B-section, flintoids suck, I've had many run-ins with them in my 2 years here. Do you live at a house or are u in the apartments?

24. DieselBoost410

I'm in a house on west 3rd. We don't have problems with Toids too much.

25. Platinum_Thunder

:mad::mad::mad:

Tonight I was eating a hamburger and I took the tomato off and threw it away.....I was thinking about you when I did it rabbit food guy :mad: