bass shakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RiCePiCkR, Sep 7, 2007.

1. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

i bought some home theater seats and these came along with them. 2 of them actually.

[​IMG]

first of all i'm a total noob and i have no idea how to set this up and wire it.

this is my receiver... yamaha RX-V861BL... i currently have a 7.1 speaker set up.
    [​IMG]

my question is do i need to purchase an extra amplifier or receiver to set this up? or can i just wire it to my receiver or my sub? no ideaa what i'm doing. thanks guys.

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

A friend of mine used some for his game chair and personally I like the sound of a serious subwoofer more than having my ass shaked for music and even movie tracks. Then agian, big subwoofers with the same sort of imposing effect would be rather expensive.

4. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

They can work very well if you use them LOW. I have a pair of the Aura pro's in my car running 50W per, <40Hz @ 12dB. They run under my main subs (A pair of Boston Pro 12.5LFs that are phenomenal in every way but their bottom octave response (low xmax). That low-pass matches the natural rolloff of my subs very well. So what I end up with is a small box system that plays spectacularly tight and still upsets your stomach on the stupid-low stuff. Do I actually have flat response down to 20Hz? Nah. But perception is at least as important as measurements and set up right it sure seems that way.

Cross them much higher than that though and meh. They make HORRIBLE loudspeakers, you really need all directly audible information crossed out. They make even more sense in a HT environment I suppose, since super deep response requires tons of cash and/or huge boxes and/or huge power otherwise. Personally I'd get a small poweramp and run them separate - the receiver will end up being way too much power for them more than likely, and it'd be easier to control them and get a good crossover on them if you amp them on their own. You also probably need some eq to get them to match properly with your mains and/or other sub....especially if you cross them higher, as their response is very peaky.

The Aura pros are good for 50WRMS each (less down low due to mechanical limits), the normal ones 25. Even on a couple watts they can make a serious impact assuming they're installed well.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Combine the outputs (left, right, center, rear, etc.) and feed them into these things. Then bolt them to the floor instead of your chair. You want to hear bass? How does having a 15x15ft bass speaker (i.e. your floor) sound?

6. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

These things aren't a Tesla piston, they're loudspeakers. If you mount them to the floor, the sensation is transferred to the entire floor, not a direct area where you need it. You should mount them individually to the rear or bottom of your seats for the full effect. The only time I would recommend mounting them to the floor (which keep in mind is simply plywood and nails, which doesn't oscillate well relative to the driver) is if you're watching movement movies where you want to feel something moving towards or away from you (Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds, etc). Otherwise, explosions literally just feel like the floor is shaking, which your traditional subwoofer does just fine.

7. dew

dew Banned

i was thinking about mounting 2 of those under my bed and rigging it to my ipod alarm :rofl:

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I remember when I first read about them things.
    I thought, no way.
    But apparently they've done blind listening tests, and people can't tell the difference at the lowest registers.
    So yeah, perception is everything.

9. eighteen_psi

It is really quite odd... I think you do need *some* legitimate displacement to really sell it though. I know the difference....I know that output at 20Hz or whatever would move enough air to send my clothing into a fury and all that, but it doesn't matter. There's enough movement to couple the vibrations to 'actual sound' or whatever...it really does work. If you keep them really low that is. They're horrible higher :rofl:

On their own, they work but it's not transparent. It's like you have a really small sub working too hard or something. Just doesn't sound natural or smooth.

If you want something spectacular, grab a pair, put em on your chair or something like that and drive them with a really nice pair of cans. They pick up the only thing a really nice headphone rig lacks and turn it into something breathtaking. :bowdown:

10. Doc Brown

That's a really kickass idea. :eek3:

Imma have to try that.

11. Doc Brown

Oh shit, I just caught that. :rofl:

The first time it went off, you'd probably have a heart attack. :mamoru:

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Bass shakers aren't Tesla pistons? Then what are they? I've never seen one with a speaker cone inside it, only the coil.

13. Doc Brown

The only thing I ever saw about them was they are a woofer motor with
    a flat plate on top.
    I assume the plate has to touch the surface of the chair/floor or whatever the bass is intended to be effecting.

14. eighteen_psi

Rather than moving a cone that displaces air against a suspension, the voice coil moves a weight of some sort against a suspension. The bottom of them has a piece of cork to couple it and a pretty hefty flange to mount it (they can generate upwards of 40ft/lbs at higher frequencies). You can feel the thing 'ring' if you smack the bottom of it with your hand hard (that resonance is why they're horrible in the audible range). Leads me to believe there's probably some mass on a spring or something.

It's all internal though, or at least...seems to be. If you play one and hold it, it shakes like friggin mad, but there's nothing visible on it that moves...like the cork part doesn't move in and out, the whole thing just goes nuts.

I think you can actually take them apart pretty easily...I'll check one out when I have a chance and post pics: if its not too tough. I am fairly curious what exactly goes on in there.

Oh..and the heatsink on the good ones is there for a reason, those bastards get HOT!

15. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

:hsugh: A tesla piston is a device he invented that he claimed could shake a building so violently, it would eventually collapse.

16. dew

dew Banned

:rofl: