Bass and Treble Range Settings PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by robbinthehood, Jun 13, 2004.

1. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

ive got an alpine cda-9807 in my car and when i was looking through the manual, i came across how to change the different bass and treble range frequencies.....i dont know much about audio but for bass i have 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, and 200Hz options. i like tight punchy bass that sounds crisp, so which of these would be my best choice? also, for treble i can have it set to 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 15kHz, or 17.5kHz. for treble i like nice crisp high pitch sounds, but i dont know which i should choose for this. any help on this subject is appreciated, thanks.

2. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Er, play with the settings until they sound right to you. Seriously.

It's a personal preference thing. Generally I leave my EQ flat. Any futzing I do just makes the sound...futzed. About the only adjusting I do is knocking the treble down a step for some albums/stations.

3. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

yeah, i messed around with them a little bit, but i cant really tell a difference some of the time. what do the different levels represent? like what makes 10kHz different from 17.5? im not too knowledgable on this subject so any help is appreciated

4. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Frequency ranges. Basically, higher numbers correspond with higher pitch sounds. Low C (lowest key) on a piano is 32 Hz, whereas high C (highest key) is around 4000 or 8000 Hz...I don't know exactly, but you get the general idea. :o

10 kHz will only make small differences...not many fundamental tones in music (acoustic anyway) that high. 17.5 is almost useless...it's all overtones up there, and few adults can even hear that high.

I hope that helps a little... :)

5. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

so 10kHz will give me the highest pitch for treble? what about the bass ranges, is it the same for that, the lower the number, the more range in bass?

6. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

The lower you go, the lower the pitch of the sound. adjusting the EQ allows you to increase or decrease the level of those tones relative to the whole signal.

7. On_One

On_One Guest

Idealy you should only be attenuating not boosting