A&P Basketball Season Home Opener - a few pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by aCab, Nov 19, 2009.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

The school's gym is strobed this year :bowdown: Very little editing - mostly exposure. Could probably use a few more tweaks, but I just don't have the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicle

Chicle New Member

#1 the focus is on the ref
    #2 the focus is off of the player too
    #3 is so-so would have been better from the other side
    #4 probably your best shot
    #5 and #6 the angles just aren't that good for the shot being attempted.

Also the jerseys look a bit overexposed. They aren't horrible by any means though. Pretty sweet that the gym is strobed now.

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

your colors are WAAAAAYYYY off here. and I mean WAAAAAAYYYYY...

The reds on their jerseys are all just one solid block of 255 red, and if you look in the crowds, all of their shirts turn a color green that doesn't exist outside of Borderlands....

I'm also seeing some issues with lack of fine detail in skintones and what appears to be you cranking the NR slider's too much, but the colors could just be bad enough that they're hiding any detail in the shots...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  4. aCab

aCab New Member

:dunno:

Good thing they are being printed in the paper. Nobody is gonna notice any of that crap.

5. Keegan

Keegan New Member

1. I'd crop that way down. No use having all that empty space. Not to mention the focus like others have pointed out.
    2. Would trash. Too far away and way too loose.
    3. Would trash. Wrong side of the hoop, gotta see faces. When I'm shooting games I'll sit on the baseline/3 point line intersection on the side where our dominant guys will drive towards. Gotta get their faces as they dunk/layup.
    4. Good emotion. Crop in a bit tighter though as the negative space adds nothing to it and draws the eye away.
    5. Eh... it wouldn't make it past my first look-through at halftime/after the game. Just doesn't say anything unless the star player was injured on the play or the loose ball cost them the game in ot :dunno:
    6. This is where being low to the side of the net would have been great. You'd have his face, ball going up, and if you kept the crop loose; the opponent missing the block.

Keep at it, and with the strobes you're gonna have lots of opportunity. The light at our gym is brutal for basketball/volleyball. I'm shooting 2.8, 1/320th, 1250 on my 1d2... which I may play with a bit this season if I start using NR.

6. derekOT

derekOT New Member

Do you shoot for the ubbyssey?

7. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Looks like you're shutterspeed is too slow.

8. aCab

aCab New Member

I can only sync at 1/250th :o

9. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Shoot ambient.

where are you shooting from? your angle seems to change a lot between shots.

10. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

Bust out a d70.

11. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Yep. Also send my stuff out on the wire. Had a few photos run on the CIS site from the rugby nationals.

12. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

4 is your strongest shot due to the emotion on the face and it tells a story.

1 could have been a great shot if you would have waited just a millisecond or so and had you not cutoff the green players foot, and if it focused more on him and cut the rest of the people out, except for the defender slightly in the frame to show whats going on, and oh yeah if it were in focus.

And i do believe your shutter speed is too slow hence why there is the slightest amount of weirdness in all of teh images causing my eyes to think the images are soft and smeared.

Most of teh EXIF says 1/125" bump it up to the max sync.

Ill tell you what Al Bello told me this weekend about shooting sports... He told me shooting sports is easy. If you follow three important rules.

1. Make sure you have clean backgrounds. Its important in isolating your player/action
    2. Know where your light is coming from at all times.
    3. Composition. Think about the shots you want and position yourself in the correct spot to get that shot.

He mentioned to me that alot of its chance. Because you will never know whats going to happen in the game, but he also mentions that if you think about the shots you want before hand and keep those three things in mind, it betters your chances in getting those great shots.

Just talking to him over drinks helped me so much, now whenever i even before i pick up my camera i am thinking about where i am at all times, and what i want to get from that particular shooting position.

And if you dont know who he is. www.albello.com, IMHO Worlds best, all around sports shooter.

edit: Notice in 4, you have almost all the correct elements Bello refers to. Except i would have gotten in a little tight and made the players face land in the tops third of the frame. The extra negative space around his head doesn't add to the image.

13. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

these pictures are over exposed, over saturated, out of focus, etc.

I thought you were supposed to be better than chase jarvis?

14. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Looks like they have been taken with P&S by a soccer mom, err i mean basketball mom.

15. derekOT

derekOT New Member

3 rules show on sports shooter for "getty intership diaries" as well
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2099

16. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

17. hootpie

hootpie New Member

:wtf: is going on in these pictures. It looks like you were shooting a football game that ended up on the basketball court :rofl:

Edit: That's not a knock on your photography, but on the extremely non-basketball positions/situations in most of these pictures.

18. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Honestly, none of these are good. :hs: