A&P Basics on film photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by chizzle, May 13, 2008.

1. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I am a huge camera newb, but I need some basic advice.

I have an old nikon fg-20 from the 80s and like taking pictures with natural lighting. A lot of times I find that I either don't have enough or have too much light going on, how should I go about adjusting f-stop and shutter speed for conditions like this. Are there any other strategies? To help, here are some hypotheticals...

1) Bright day at the beach
    2) indoor birthday party with low lighting

Thanks.

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Use the meter in the camera to help you set shutter speed and f/stop. If the meter doesn't work, or you don't know how to use it, shoot at 1/60 sec at f/2.8 indoors with 400 speed b/w film. For outdoor shooting at the beach, use 100 or 50 speed film, set the camera to 1/125 sec and f/stop to f/16 or f/22.

3. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I don't even know where the meter is on my camera.

But the other information is exactly what I'm looking for. I just need a good starting point.

Would using a single speed film (400 specifically) change much insomuch as f-stop and shutter speed go? I tend to take pictures back and forth between settings on one roll of film.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You can use 400 speed both indoors and out. For outdoor use, set your shutter speed to 1/500 sec and f/stop to f/11. This will get you a usable negative. If it's cloudy, drop the shutter speed and/or aperture by three or four stops/speeds.

5. Bloke

Bloke Banned

im positive your camera had a lightmeter, in the viewfinder. prabably the battery contacts need cleaning and the battery changed. as modern batteries wear so does the reading on these older meters.

6. planb

planb itches in my teeth