Basic Router question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GoldRanger, Jul 29, 2003.

1. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

Can i...

1. Use a plain router on my dads Cable modem (downstairs)

2. Run a line upstairs, using one of the router outputs

3. Run the line into a wireless router

4. Use my PCMCIA wireless card

Would it work effectively? Tricky to setup?

Would it reduce speed considerably, rather than just having the wireless router at the cable modem?

Any input (even basic stuff) would be appreciated :hs:

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I'm doing this in my parents' home and the results of my "experiement" are kind of iffy.

I have a pair of netgear routers - the standard wired and wireless versions. They are set up exactly as you want yours to be. The first (wired) one is the DHCP server and is responsible for NAT and the port forwarding. The wireless one is completely transparent. I turned off its DHCP server and set its IP address staticly to be the first available (192.168.0.2) IP on the first router. So basically my dad's laptop gets an IP just the same as the rest of the computers plugged into the first router and sees them all in the workgroup, etc. The only catch is that in making the wireless router completely transparent, I somehow lost the ability to connect to and configure it through the web interface and telnet. I guess if anything on his laptop ever changes we'll have to push the reset button on the back of the router and see what happens :hs:

It is somewhat tricky to set up, but will not hinder performance. On the Netgears there's an option in the menus called RIP direction which should be configured to In our Out depending on which position the router is in. If no one on here knows offhand, read the manual to find the correct setting.

3. MP

MP New Member

what kind of router? what kind of wireless 802.11b? .11g? etc

4. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

Good info :eek3:

As of right now, i have a Linksys Wireless router downstairs, and use a wireless USB adapter for my laptop (upstairs)

Thing gets iffy reception, and i figgured if i put the wireless router upstairs somehow it would improve reception

Im kinda partial to Linksys, so im hoping maybe it will work :hs:

Edit, i think its whatever is the cheaper, A or B :rofl:

5. Tom Ridge

Tom Ridge Guest

You sure that isn't for setting up the routing protocol, RIP?

6. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

Any others wishing to help me out with my theory? :hs:

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Well, I ran a set-up like this before, and I didn't notice any difference on the 'Net between computers on the same lan as the normal router and the computers on the wireless LAN. What I did, is just run a normal Cat5 from port 4 on the router with the braodband connection, to port 1 on the wireless router (just using the switching function). But, unlike Aimless I could reach the menu of either router from any computer.

My, question is, couldn't you get the same effect with a Wireless Access Point? or is there another computer upstairs that you want to hard-wire? From what you said, It would be cheaper to go with a WAP and just run it like you have already stated and then set-up the WAP from your dad's computer (ALWAYS, configure networked items from a hardwired connection).

8. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

:werd:

I just noticed that option :uh:

9. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

When you get a router to split ethernet connection...and connect say two computers to the router via RJ ethernet cable...does this allow the computers to be in a network and file trasnfer, or merely share an internet connection? If this also creates a network does anyone know of a decent router for cheap (only need 2 outputs if they have that or the next smallest)..link me :x:

thanks,
    PJ