GUN BASIC questions on the GLOCK 19 I just bought...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by offthahook, Oct 9, 2008.

1. offthahook

offthahook New Member

I got it at at a licensed firearms dealer, brand new, and I applied for my permit. I paid $485 for it and I'm not firing it unless for serious self defense until I'm really sure I am comfortable with it. Now for some seriously basic but "safer than sorry" questions...

On a non revolver, magazine style semi auto like this... if I put in a loaded mag., but do NOT slide it back to put a round in the hole, I cannot shoot a round, correct?. I thought I remember when I shot my dad's .357 magnum revolver, one pull of the trigger cocked the hammer and the next squeeze pushed out the bullet. There was no "priming" so to speak; it was all trigger. And my recollection on that may be wrong, too. I was thinking if I pull the trigger ONE time on the Glock it would push a round to the chamber. Apparently, that isn't the case with a clip; you have to manually load a round into the chamber. Then, each pull of the trigger AFTER that fires a shot until the magazine is empty...

I stripped the EMPTY gun and noticed the copper lube from the factory. The salesguy was pretty laid back about cleaning/lubing the gun. I was surprised that he was like "Just dab a drop of WD 40 on each rail, massage it in." I'm the kind of guy who actually uses a torque wrench on oilpan bolts. So, should I touch where the copper lube is or just put pistol oil (WD 40 just makes me uneasy on a gun) over the factory grease? How careful do I need to be with the guts on this piece? Eventually, can I just wipe it all dry and lube the necessary parts? Or is that a no-no when dealing with factory oil?

I know I'm :greddy: on this, but I an cautious and didn't want to ask the salesguy stupid questions when purchasing... TIA.

2. In order...

First, you should take some classes on beginner pistol skills, that's probably the best and safest way to get to know the gun.

It will not fire a round unless you chamber one by inserting a loaded magazine and then pulling the slide all the way back and letting it go forward. That will strip a round off the top of the magazine and put it in the chamber. At that point, one pull of the trigger will fire the bullet.

As far as lube on a Glock, you will be fine if you leave the factory copper lube on there until the first time you clean the gun after firing it. The easiest way to lube a Glock after cleaning it is to apply a small amount of lube (either something like Mobil1 or Breakfree or some sort of grease, etc...) to the parts that engage the slide. Glocks don't need to be covered in lube like some guns, but it's good to keep the wear surfaces lubricated. There's tons of info online.

3. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Wow.

Read up on gun safety and how guns work and operate online.

Find a class near you teaching gun safety/handling/shooting.

You should've done this before buying a handgun.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I could type a novel on the glock I should do a glock faq.

No if you have a empty chamber on a glock pulling the trigger will not load a round off the mag. Empty chamber with loaded mag in is called condition 3. You have to rack the slide to chamber a round and set the glock trigger ready to fire.

The glock as well as any gun do not ever put your finger on the trigger loaded or unloaded unless it is pointed in a safe direction or you intended to put a hole in something. If you follow this rule like god's law you will keep yourself from doing something stupid.

The copper grease is garbage. First thing I do when I bring a new glock home is clean all that junk out. If you want to go inexpensive syntetic motor oil works such as moble 1. For high end lube I like gun butter.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Take a class, seriously. :hs:

6. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

If you don't take a class at least read tutorials or I'm sure there's shit on youtube about firearms safety and operation. For your sake and everyone around you's sake, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

7. offthahook

offthahook New Member

Good lookin' out. I will educate myself properly and did do some research before I bought. Man, I just felt stupid asking "Will this eject a round into the chamber with a trigger pull or do I have to rack it for the first round?" My dad is probably an expert, so I felt dumb asking him. Trust me, I'm not looking to the WWW for expert advice. I figured this forum would be serious and I could rest assured no one would say "Yeah, do work with your new toy near some kids at the park." I appreciate the comments. Again, better safe than sorry and there is no trial and error with a firearm...

8. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

9. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Depending on where you live at you should check out Tactical response and see if they are having a fighting pistol class near you anytime soon. They can teach you how to handle that G19.

www.tacticalresponse.com

10. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

also after you take your basic pistol classes and overall familiarize yourself with the pistol you just bought, go to the range and shoot many, many, many boxes of ammo through the pistol before you attempt to ever carry it defensively or intend to defend your home/whatever with it.

11. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

this

Please be careful.

12. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Even just a basic NRA class would be fine. Either a basic pistol safety, or I took one for my CPL that was called something along the lines of "self defense in the home" or something like that. They taught basic safety and a few other things.

13. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

doesnt sound like this gun is for you. you should just trade me for my bersa thunder. the bersa thunder, unlike the glock, has a safety.

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

15. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:hsugh: wow

TS, don't listen to this idiot. a safety is your fucking brain. now go learn

16. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Definitely, this is how we get AD/NDs.

Threadstarter, you should have rented a pistol at a range, and fired it a few times just to know how a gun works, and feels.

Edit: just read my post, sounds sort of mean, I should've included that by doing so, you can find a pistol to your liking, since everyone
    s tastes are different. I personally thought I would love Glocks, but upon shooting a Glock, and an XD side by side, I'd take the XD as I shot better with it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Don't even put any bullets in the same room as it until you get instruction on safe handling from another human being, in person.

Frankly, given the amount of familiarity, or rather, lack of you confess to, I would simply advise not to even touch the gun until you take your class.

I don't say this negatively; its much more impressive that you admit to not knowing shit than most idiots who pretend they know it all. Be patient and welcome to the gang. You got the perfect One Gun. ("If you could only have one gun..." polls come up a lot.) :bigthumb:

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

woah really? so the lever on the trigger isnt a safety? thanks for that update.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I think he gets it. No further need to step on his dick.

20. offthahook

offthahook New Member

Yeah, I'm good to go for sure. I have 4 boxes of ammo. ready for the range AS SOON AS I am trained. I'm not going to jump off the high dive first. I thought I had the deal down about the newb questions and no need to hide the women and children on my block. It's kinda like I bought an exotic sportscar and was embarrassed to ask "how do you open the trunk from inside?" So, I parked it in the garage until I was sure. I know a gun is not a car to be sure.

It's a powerful tool with no room for error; I respect it and I will be 100% certain I can handle it. If I were a kid looking for a cheap backup weapon, I'd trade it for a Thunder. The 19 does have safeties on it, son. The trigger in trigger is the main one as pointed out to you. The Glock safeties just aren't the "traditional" user controlled type...

EDIT: No offense taken by any of you who stated that I should not load it. That would be my opinion and I did ask a few people a lot of questions. Even a former Corp member, who has been a great help. Trust me, I did the homework. Really, you have to with something as powerful as this. Thanks again.

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Don't clean the copper grease off of there. Shoot it until it's gone. When it's gone, instead of using CLP or any other oil, go buy yourself a tub of high-temperature wheel bearing grease at AutoZone or somewhere. Look for the highest temperature rating you can find. Do not use the spray-type white lithium grease. You can use that one tub of high-temp grease for a LONG time, and on all your guns. It works better than oils.

Number one, it stays where you put it. Use a very small amount, with a Q-tip, in the locations that your Glock manual says to lubricate. If you use too much, it's just goopy and collects dust.

Number two, when you do shoot, as it heats up, it doesn't evaporate or move as easily from where you put it like liquid lubes do.

Number three, it's WAY easier to clean things that are dirty when you've lubed with bearing grease instead of liquid lubes. I run a suppressor on my AR, which normally creates a very hard, thick, dry crust on everything inside the gun. Much harder to get off than when the rifle is run without the suppressor. When I switched to wheel bearing grease, I found that the crust didn't stick to the insides of the rifle. It's almost a wipe-off job.

Number four, if you DO run a silencer on any gun, wheel bearing grease is where it's at. If you lube with liquids, the liquid sprays out of the gun due to the increased backpressure. The increased heat evaporates anything that's left. With wheel bearing grease, it doesn't spray, because it's thicker. It will liquify as it gets hot, but it still stays put. It does NOT evaporate.

22. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

23. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I remember getting told that when I was a kid (without the expletive) and again when I took a Hunter's Safety Course with my kids so they could hunt.

24. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

He seems high or something in that video. I've watched a bunch of his other ones and he never stumbles like that or drops shit.

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That copper grease is there for uses for long term storage more than for lubricant. That copper paste is horrible in the way it attracts crud like carbon. While the glock will run with just about anything I would not use wheel bearing grease either for the same reason.

There is liquid stuff that doesn't burn off and carbon cannot stick to, such as gunbutter.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008