Basic Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TexasStateGuy, Jun 22, 2004.

1. TexasStateGuy

TexasStateGuy New Member

Does anybody know a website or can tell me what the difference, besides the wires that connect them, is between an EIDE, SATA, and RAID hard drives? Or maybe can point me to a website that explains it? Thanx.

Tyler

2. TexasStateGuy

TexasStateGuy New Member

Ok-nevermind I looked it up myself, but I can't answer one question. I have a motherboard with SATA connections, it sounds to me like that's the way to go rather than the 2 EIDE hard drives I have now. Can I add a SATA hard drive and leave the other two, I mean can I use EIDE and SATA at the same time?

3. Yes.

Your motherboard have different controllers which will handle the interfaces seperately. It's also generally referred to as P-ATA and S-ATA; parallel and serial. Remember, optical drives are still being manufactured in pata.

4. TexasStateGuy

TexasStateGuy New Member

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

5. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

Best way to take advantage of SATA is to get 2 SATA drives and hook them up in a raid0 configuration... according to a few things I've read online. :dunno: Thats what I plan to do when I buy another SATA drive.

6. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

Right now I have the following drives:

40 GB Western Digital 8MB EIDE
    60 GB Hitachi EIDE
    80 GB Seagate SATA

The SATA is partition into two drives and winXP is on one of them.

7. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

I would definitely recommend always going with SATA drives from now on, as Intel's new 915 and 925 boards won't even have support for Primary IDE's.

And also, the 925 boards will have on-board support for SATA RAID configurations using RAID 0 and RAID 1 if im not mistaken. IF you plan on upgrading anything anytime soon, you might as well go with SATA now so you can potentially re-use these hard drives in the future system.

8. lordbean

lordbean Guest

You don't even need a RAID controller to take advantage of RAID performance. Software RAID, while slightly harder on the CPU and not bootable, can still be done quite easily with Windows 2000 or XP. My gaming system has an EIDE 5GB drive with XP installed on it, and two Maxtor 120GB SATA drives in RAID-0 by using XP's "Dynamic" drive setup in striped mode. It generates a noticable performance difference; the two 120GB drives are approximately twice as fast in software RAID-0 as they are on their own.