Basement party room?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Splak, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Splak

Splak New Member

I'm looking at getting two Mackie SRM450's for my basement and run them from a HTPC using a Revo7.1. Do you guys think for a 25x30 basement the 450 will do the job? Mainly techno, dance, and house music occasional punk when my friend bands plays. Do you think I need an additional sub? I auditioned them today at a local music store and they are loud but really couldnt test the bottom end very much.

2. 04

04 Guest

Uh yeah, those will be PLENTY loud unless your basement is absolutely HUGE. Why do you need a 7.1 channel sound card if you only are using 2 channels? :confused:

But yes, you will probably want/need a sub to go with them. What is your pricerange?

Are you going to be running them through a mixing board or straight from the soundcard? The soundcard only has unbalanced, 1/8" outputs, while the Mackie's probably have balanced trs or xlr inputs...

3. Splak

Splak New Member

I have a Revo7.1 because I already have it and it has one of the best dac's and just overall sound card for the price.

I wasn't planning on going through a mixer? Is there any reason I'd need to? I'm wanting to spend around 2500.. If those speakers are too big for the application, can you suggest some more suited for my needs?

4. 04

04 Guest

No I wouldnt say those speakers are too big at all. How much do they cost? I would definitly say to get a sub as well though, as speakers like that typically dont have much low frequency extension. I would probably get a mixer so you can control the volume, as well as hook up other devices, and even do equilization. You can get pretty full featured ones for less than 200 dollars.

5. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Revo 7.1 has software volume controls for each channel, plus bass adjustments, delay adjustments, etc. It's huge among the hardcore HTPC crowd and in my humble opinion I would think you would be able to get by without a hardware mixer. Although I don't know if you knew that already 042801 and felt that the software controls suck.

6. Splak

Splak New Member

Only reason I never considered a mixer is because I know absolutly nothing about them.. Could you recommend me a few and I'll do some research myself as well..

Have any sub recommendations? I know the HSU and SVS subs are awesome for HT.. Are there any that excel in what I want to do?

7. 04

04 Guest

:confused: I NEVER said the Revo's software controls sucked... In fact, from what I have seen, they are QUITE thorough.

What I meant is that it could be a pain in the ass to use the computer's volume control to control the volume level. Like for me, I use a reciever, and typically need to make MAJOR volume changes depending on if I am listening to a movie or music.

8. 04

04 Guest

Hmm, well for the subs, thats the problem. You are going to have to get some serious subwoofers (read $$$$) to match the output of your main speakers :sad2:

Unless you can DIY, the cost for such a subwoofer could be very cost prohibitive. How much of that budget would you plan to spend on a sub?

9. Splak

Splak New Member

Maybe around $800.. I'm looking at the 15in Mackie active subs.. The'd match the 450's nicely and should give me plenty of bass.. What do you think?

10. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

My bad, I meant that to read as: I don't know if you know about the Revo's software mixing, or if you DO know, but think that the software mixing sucks. :hs: