GUN Barska Riflescopes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LancerV, Sep 16, 2008.

1. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Got one for my Remington 700 .308, going to take it to the range next weekend and shoot 100-200meters to see what groupings I get.

Now im trying to find a range in the Dallas area that goes out to a 1000yds. Tiger Valley I think the closest one :dunno:

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Cheap scopes, I have one for my 10/22 and it's acceptable. Save up for something nicer.

3. LancerV

Which model? Mines pretty bright up to 20x and goes to 32x

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You haven't looked through much glass, have you?

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

308 has 16 feet of drop at 1000 yards and hits with very little energy. As far as the scope goes nicest thing I can say is that they are inexpensive. I would recommend people save for quality glass. Makes much more difference than the rifle itself.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

my standard recomendation is trijicon accupoint TR21r. I'm selling my old one for $600 w/ larue mount.

[​IMG]

7. LancerV

Mostly only my friends leuopod and nikon, Im saving up for a leupod. But dont have a 1000 to just lay down on a scope right now

8. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Barska? 32x? Jesus christ.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

That's fine..... I still predict the Barska will leave you high and dry though. I imagine once you get off your 100 rd range and start twisting on knobs, that thing will cry foul and promptly go tits up.

There is useable glass in the $250 range. Mind if I ask what you paid for the Barska?

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Personally, I always use the 1x per yard rule.

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I've never understood how anyone can buy a 8-32x50mm Lighted AO mildot with target turrets and blah blah blah for $125 and think they're buying quality glass.

12. LancerV

Got it from a friend for 125, he upgraded to a Nikon. He was hitting targets to 500yds with it on his Savage 10FP. I think they actually go for 200-250 new or around there.

What would recommend for around 300-450?

13. LancerV

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Do you mean 1x per 100 yards. I would agree for speed, for precision I think maybe 2x - 3x per 100 yards

15. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

:werd: Love my 16X

16. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

quality optics makes a huge difference

17. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Look through a Meopta scope sometime - the difference is astounding.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:hitit: (if I hads more money)

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

On the high end.... I think a Leupold VXIII with the M1 knobs ($12x at their custom shop) is a fantastic scope. The glass is usable, it has lots of elevation travel, the erectors are dead repeatable, crazy friendly manners, and if you somehow fuck it up Leupold will fix it free/cheap. They also make a 4.5x14 for those wanting more zoom, but I don't think it's as easy to use. Either way, I've seen and bought these in the $300 range.

B&L fixed powers are good, as well as the Bushnell elite 3200's that replaced them. Super Snipers don't suck, and neither does the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14.40. All of these can be had within your budget if you shop right (hint: check samplelist.com, and the various 'boards), and would be something you could actually USE.

Many people get bent on optical clarity, probably because that's about the only thing you can discern when looking at something in a store (and most people don't understand how to properly use a scope with turrets, either). Of MUCH more importance than that, is things like elevation travel, adjustment demarcation ("Click" value), ERECTOR REPEATABILITY, friendleness of use (think eye relief, which also usually effects mounting options), and a bunch of other shit. You aren't looking for a spotting scope, you are looking for something that will hold and manipulate your crosshairs based on distance and atmospheric conditions. Let that sink in a bit.

Shoot your Barska, and enjoy it. If you are just shooting at a static range, it might work out. When you start moving some distance into the equation, or start shooting UKD targets, is where you will start breaking shit. Most cheap scopes don't like it when you start grabbing and twisting on shit.

What you could do as a test (and something I do for all new glass), is do a "box test". Check out this site:
    http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/06/30/sightron-siii-8-32x56-scope-test-part-ii/
    And duplicate some of the tests that the author (The Smack the Smiley creator) has done. You'd be suprised how many people are shooting shit and chasing all kinds of strange problems, and don't even know.

It does. And that can't be echoed enough. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of people know what makes "good" glass, separate from "shit" glass. Lots of people think optical clarity is the only barometer of measure, and that simply isn't the case.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008