barretta converstion

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by meervincent, May 30, 2007.

1. meervincent

meervincent New Member

im looking to take a 2.8 V6 barretta and make it rwd. im thinking camaro tranny and like a 90 mustang 2.3 dif. any thoughts? ive only heard of this been done once befor

2. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

never heard it done before
    good luck if it works

3. meervincent

meervincent New Member

yeah i know its gonna be tough. i expect this to take a year or 2 just to get power to the rear wheels. the whole point is to have something unique and faster then old z28s lol

4. meervincent

meervincent New Member

i plan on building the engine up. i wanna see if i can get over 200hp at the wheels. is the auto or manual camaro tranny known for any problems?

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Doesn't the VW Passat with the W8 engine get 200hp to the wheels?

6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Which generation engine/trans?

First and second gen are old school GM technology, and so fairly indestructible.

Third gen autos are generally the 700R4 which will take some abuse, but it's also big and heavy.

Third gen manuals are shitty. In fact, they're so shitty GM would only put it behind a dog ass 5.0/305. If you back it up to a STOCK 5.7/350 you'll grenade it fairly quickly with any sort of hard use.

The 4th gen autos are computerized 700R4's so they have the same qualities as the 3rd gens.

The 4th gen manuals are (IIRC) T56 6-speeds. It's a fairly durable trans with a sick overdrive 6th for economy.

The 5th gen isn't out yet, and although there are lots of rumors I'm not sure what the exact tranny's will be. A T56 is a safe bet for the manual, but the auto could be one of several options.

For your Beretta, I would recommend the TPI drive train from an 89-91 Camaro IROC with an automatic and 5.7. It's a fairly durable platform, it's relatively inexpensive, the parts are fairly cheap, and they are easy to find in a self-portable form in rusted out body shells throughout the northeast.

Good luck.

7. meervincent

meervincent New Member

i want to use the pushrod 2.8 L v6 that came in the barreta and camaro. and the camaro tranny from the same year motor. should just bolt together as long as i can notch the firewall enough. getting rid of the independent rear suspenion should be fun too lol. and i think ill have to move my gastank into the trunk or try and fit one in from a camaro. that and a custom driveshaft otherwise nothing will ever line up

8. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

why?

9. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Yeah, why?

10. meervincent

meervincent New Member

i want to have a car that is out of the ordinary but build if from an ordinary car

11. meervincent

meervincent New Member

to be honest your right. i was at work one day and saw a barreta and thought it would be cool. i have a few friends that do have the ability to tackle such a project if i had the money for it. and i dont lol.

12. shiba

shiba Active Member

There was a guy who created a mid engine RWD integra. Went from dumb ass to super cool quickly once he proved that he can do it.

13. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Then why don't you just throw a turbo and some well thought out mods on the Beretta?

What you're proposing is going to result in a dismantled car in your garage and a pile of junk parts and scrap metal in the back yard.

14. opie and anthony 102.7

opie and anthony 102.7 your mom's box

its been done hundreds if not thousands of times in the early 1990's. there were LOTS of pro-stock style berettas around then in hot rod magazine and at the drag strip.