GUN "barrel break-in" v10/22

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sp00n155, Oct 8, 2008.

1. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

So I recently installed a .920 (greenmountain 20" fluted) barrel on my 10/22 that now has 3x more than its initial cost in parts installed on it.

I've read mixed thoughts on barrel "break in periods" and what exactly is supposed to happen during these. Some people seem to say fire ~100 rounds, clean, 100 rounds, clean, ect for 500rnds or so. Others say none is necessary? What is the opinion of WMD?

2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Unless you're trying to break accuracy records, I wouldn't worry about it.

I didn't do shit for mine and it still shoots like a dream.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

same here shot a brick through it went home ran the bore snake through a few times now I dont clean unless the groups start to get big

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I break in my barrels. Then again I'm concerned about accuracy and it never hurts to break in a barrel.

My routine (well honestly i stole it but don't remember the dude to give credit.)

fire one shot, run one damp patch, 2 shots, 1 patch, 3 shots, 1 patch, 4 shots, 1 patch, 5 shots, 1 patch, done.

5. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

To semi quote a buddy of mine, "breaking in a barrel is all black magic bullshit. nobody can agree on how to do it. Some people claim that it helps remove the burrs from the barrel but if your barrel that you just dropped some money on comes with burrs you should kick the manufacturer in the penis."

6. I discussed this recently in another thread, but I don't remember which one. It's difficult to pin down a single answer, so really the only thing to do is choose to believe one school of though and stick with it. I tend to stick with Gale McMillan's school of thought when it comes to barrel break in. Gale is a shooting legend with credentials few, if any, can match. As the holder of many world records I trust his advice on barrel break in, which is summed up here.

http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

7. Willie J

Willie J New Member

for my 10/22, i shot 10 rds then a quick swabbed of the barrel w/ some solvent, repeated this for a total of 10 times. i was also sighting in my scope and emptied the magazine fast for that last 4 mags. it didn't take long and it cant hurt

8. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I never bothered, my accuracy is fine.

9. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

:werd:

Fuck barrel break-ins.

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:werd:

I figure I'm not aiming to beat the 1000 yard record, and that honestly break in time would be better spent shooting it and learning to shoot better.

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It depends on who you ask this is from krieger barrels

Because the lay of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel, very little is done to the bore during break-in, but the throat is another story. When your barrel is chambered, by necessity there are reamer marks left in the throat that are across the lands, i.e. across the direction of the bullet travel. In a new barrel they are very distinct; much like the teeth on a very fine file. When the bullet is forced into the throat, copper dust is released into the gas which at this temperature and pressure is actually a plasma. The copper dust is vaporized in this gas and is carried down the barrel. As the gas expands and cools, the copper comes out of suspension and is deposited in the bore. This makes it appear as if the source of the fouling is the bore when it is actually for the most part the new throat. If this copper is allowed to stay in the bore, and subsequent bullets and deposits are fired over it; copper which adheres well to itself, will build up quickly and may be difficult to remove later. So when we break in a barrel, our goal is to get the throat polished without allowing copper to build up in the bore. This is the reasoning for the "fire-one-shot-and-clean" procedure.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

really is 15 rounds of ammo and 5 patches a big deal. I do it because my AR smith and the instructions you get from JP when you buy their barrel calls for a barrel break in.

12. Willie J

Willie J New Member

:werd:. if my gun calls for it, i do it. even my GM barrel. it only took me 15 minutes

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I don't do it, but providing you have the equipment and knowledge on how to clean a rifle properly, its not going to hurt it.

DO NOT go ramming a cheap rod down your barrel though. You will likely fuck more up during "break-in" than you ever would just shooting things.