MIL Barracks Smokers Crew v.PT Test

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by andymodem, Sep 17, 2007.

1. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

Do you think it would be wise to quit smoking a week before a PT test? :hsugh: (Obviously quitting is a good thing period) I'm not worried about passing it, just wondering if a week of no smoking will help, or possibly hurt performance on a PT test. :o

2. gunfighter

gunfighter New Member

or..

In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
    In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
    In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
    In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
    In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
    In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
    In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
    In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
    In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
    In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

You said a week, I just exceeded what you needed. But what do I know, i'm new to the forums so I must be new to life.:o

3. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i tried that with disasterous results. I felt like shit, was unmotivated, grouchy, etc.

Your best bet in my opinion would be to cut back with the eventual goal of quitting. Its hard.

4. My mom just stopped smoking after 40 years. It has been about 2 months and she hasn't touched a cigarette.

5. andymodem

:hs: Yeah, I've already started cutting back, have been for about a month now. Easy way for that was getting a new vehicle and no smoking in it at all. I think I'll just cut down a little more leading up to it and focus on keeping hydrated, etc, then once the test is over just cut it out altogether.

6. andymodem

I know I'll pass the PT test, so probably the best course would be to just keep smoking till the test, so as not to "upset the apple cart", and just cut it off once the test is over.

7. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

probably be your best bet.

I smoke a lot when I drive, I don't smoke in my house though. suprisingly that made me smoke even more since I like to go sit on my porch or BS with my neighbor so I light up every time I step outside.

8. andymodem

I don't smoke in the house either. The only thing that concerns me is, when I stopped smoking in the car, that cut out quite a few smokes, and I've noticed the last few weeks I've been able to run easier at PT. For the last week though, I think my lungs have been doing some housekeeping cause I've been coughing up alot of clear phlegm. :o :hsd: Which is helping motivate me to quit completely. :o

9. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

i quit smoking to increase my PFT score but i started dipping but im going to quit that shit in alittle while. hopefully when i get to New River in a few weeks my run time will get lower