MIL Barracks Crew -- What to expect from college ROTC Training Course?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pen Is Mightier, Aug 6, 2008.

1. I am not ROTC, however I got an e-mail asking if I wanted to sign up for the PT course (Army) at 0700 and I was like, fuck ya. Our school has AF, Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and I'm sure another one I'm forgetting...but yeah, we're big. I e-mailed the recruiter asking for more info on the course -- but what should I expect? It is supposed to train you for the PT tests.

Running? How far? Timed?

Pull Ups? Lifting? Obstacle Courses?

I want to excell as much as I can and want to use it as a training tool. I also want to join an armed force possibly but am still not sure yet.

2. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

depends on the branch. AF will be a bunch of calisthenics and running with the occasional game of volleyball, ultimate frisbee, basketball, or dodgeball...

3. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

I've never heard of an ROTC unit just letting college students who aren't cadets participate in their pt. As far as what I do for pt in my Army ROTC unit, we do upper body workouts and running. That includes variations of pushups, and ab workouts, and run anywhere from 3 to 7 miles as well as sprint workouts and hill repeats. We also manage to throw in brick pt and once in a while get to the gym to lift. If you want to join the military at some point, consider enrolling as a cadet in Army ROTC that way you can see what it's like without incurring any obligations. You'll do pt as well as attending military science classes and participating in various trainings. Good luck

4. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

really? my afrotc det lets civis come to pt all the time. its a pretty useful recruiting tool. i suggest u try it.

5. If you're Army its 2 miles in 13 minutes (max) with 71 pushups (max) and 78 situps (max).

If you are doing Marine whatever its called (I thought there was only PLC and so on) then its 3 miles in 18 minutes (max) with 20 pullups (max) as well as 100 crunches.

As for the other branches I don't know. Each work out will vary from university to university etc etc. One school could be serious about it another could be not so serious about it.

6. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

if u do navy rotc i believe they have a marine option.

7. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

judging from your thread creation history the military might not be for you.

8. Don't ask, don't tell.

But yes, I understand what you are saying and would not let it effect my actions.

What are these numbers from and what do you mean by max? Obviously 2 miles in 13 minutes (max) means that is the maximum time you can take but what do you mean by 71 pushups and 78 sit ups (max)...wouldn't that be a minimum? 71 pushups is a shit load.

9. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

they have two minutes to do them.

10. 13 minutes is the getting the maximum points. I think the maximum time you have allotted for the run is something ridiculous like 15:53 or something.

and yeah 2 minutes to do the sit ups and 2 minutes for the pushups. the minimum is 42 but as an officer you should be focused on the maximum.

11. Oh ok thanks for the update.

12. So I will be a sophmore....I know I'm a year late but can I catch up? I read online that the first 2 years are non-commitment but after that you have to commit. So could I just start out with the Freshmen seeing as how I'll probably be at college for 5 years anyway?

13. Do what I did. Start out as a Sophomore (for me it was the second semester of my sophomore year). Go to LTC and get caught up in a summer. Go to LDAC the following summer and complete it. Finish your MS4 year and graduate and commission later. I'm glad I didn't do it as a freshman because it would have taken more time away from school. Just make sure you tell them when you are going to graduate so they don't have to adjust your scholarship later (or force enlist you if you are a shitbag).

Any questions PM me.

14. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Mine let people take it because it was a college course and thus it had to be open.