Barcode scanner....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jshively, Dec 18, 2003.

1. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Hello I have an odd question about bar code scanning.

A little background first. We are a cold storage distribution facility and we are looking at using the Symbol 1800 series scanners to count the cases on a truck. When we get a truck in that truck may have 800 cases on it. Instead of manually counting and checking in each case what we would like to do is this.

1) Truck pulls up and hands paperwork to dock worker. Dock worker turns on Palm Pilot and goes to an entry screen. This entry screen asks them the receipt number, name, and amount of cases that should be on the truck. After entering this the dock worker presses next.
    2) This will take him to the scaning screen. Here the dock worker goes ahead and scans the first case in. The palm will read all the UPC code in and then splits the UPC and populates 2 fields. The first field is held in position 4-7 on the bar code and the second is in 10-13 on the bar code. Besides populating the 2 fields it will make the counter = 1. He then scans the next case. The counter now goes up to 2 and once again the full scan is split and the fields are populated by position 4-7 and 10-13. This will continue on till he has reached the counter reaches the amount that was entered on the entry screen or runs out of cases. If he runs out of cases and he has not reached the counter that then will be a manual process to find out what happened.

Of course we would like to have some error checking but I just want to see if any application is capable of doing something like this?

I have purchased Pendragon forms for another application but I don't see the functionality that I need in that program.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Write one, a coworker here has done stuff like that, scanning returned mailer cards and sending it to a servlet and checking against the DB for name and address info...

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

That wouldn't be too difficult to create on the Palm. Although you'd either need to write it yourself or find someone comfy with Palm apps to write it.

The only change I'd think about with your process is holding off on telling the Palm how many cases there are. After entering in the initial data, have the Palm loop for barcodes, but include a button to let the operator signal that there's no more cases. Then have the Palm total the cases up and present a summary of the activity. The operator can then verify how many cases they scanned versus how many were to be on the invoice (what if there's more cases then were specified on the invoice? - the app would stop early which may present an interesting users experience).

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

might be easier with a PocketPC...

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

PocketPC's have built in scanners?

If all you know is VB, then yes, PocketPC isn't a terrible route to go. Although I'd argue the PocketPC OS is flimsy. I'd also predict the price of a Palm + Symbol scanner would equal the price of a mid-level off the shelf PocketPC without scanning abilities.

Plus Palm uses C/C++ and you can get a student edition of CodeWarrior (the last time I checked) for free. CodeWarrior includes tools to build the GUI interface as well as an IDE to plug it all in. There's free and very good Palm emulators you can run on your PC so you're not killing batteries or locking up the Palm. I could be wrong, but I believe the Symbol 1800 is based off the Palm III series OS. I would almost be tempted to take this on, but its a matter of timing and what all is going on.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Ok - checked out Symbol's page and they do have PocketPC.

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Here at OfficeMax we just these nifty new PocketPCs that we can do price checks with, queue labels off the main printer, and with the right attatchments check out customers using their credit card.

When they work, that is.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

How much of the equipment do you have? Ie the bar coder, the palm... etc

9. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'm currently working on an inventory solution based off of the Mobile 2003 platform that utilizes an SDIO-based barcode scanner that's inserted into a PDA.

I'm writing it in C#, using a Socket SDIO scanner, and since the PDA has wireless capability, we're inserting locked down wireless access points around the building so that we'll be able to automatically update it.

It's not actually that difficult since most barcode scanners emulate a keyboard entry, however the tricky part is the backend and writing a customized program that'll useful to ya'll.

10. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

We have the Symbol 1800 right now. We are thinking about going to the PPT2800 and using Pocket Access or SQL CE. Our one developer though is going to look at using AppForge Mobile VB to create the Palm app and then sync it back.

Thanks for all the ideas. Especially the one about overages where we don't have them scan to a number in case we get extra cases.

I will keep everyone updated with the status and any ideas are still welcome.

Jeff