bar etiquette

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by ChaCha, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

when is it not ok to talk to a girl?

so tonight, (yes I am taken - hooking up is not my motive), there are two girls adjacent to us upon finding our table. I tell one of my single friends to invite them and he backs down - so I step up. I go over there and start a conversation with both of them and one of their boyfriends comes over (granted he's half my size and 2 feet shorter than I am)... I entertain the idea that he is threatening me. Anyways, he gets angry at me, while I simply tried to make amends with the whole situation.

Here's the interesting part

the people that I had come to the bar with placed shame on me. As if me coming back to their table was less than desirable. WTF? What the fuck did I do wrong. I didn't know she had a bf. Don't take your gf to a bar if you're going to pick a fight with someone bigger than you because of your own insecurities.

Like we've tackled in many recent threads, let the girl handle the situation.

and btw, his gf was not complaining

2. LBFilmGuy

LBFilmGuy LOL why u mad tho?

Eye contact + smile...approach.

If not, do not want.

3. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

well starsky, I told my gf the whole story (including talking to the girls, basically what I posted) and she didn't have a problem with it... as if she had done the same thing I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm not perfect and I know there may be better people out there for her than me so if my gf is going to cheat on me she would have done so already - fair enough.

Anyways, the guy approached me with a shove and said "you're in my seat asshole."

I respond, "oh hey, um yeah (i put my arm around his shoulder) dude sorry I thought I recognized the girl beside me."

guy says, "that's my gf."

response, "oh my bad, I was just trying to bring the tables together and um, what is your name?"

guy says, "fuck you, get the fuck out of my chair (trying to push me out of the chair)"

response, "hey man I just got here, what's your name?"

guy says, "BOUNCER!!"

response, "whatever man, fuck off"

I don't care where you are but you don't approach people like this in bars. The gf is going to get hit on and googled by everyone's eyes and you have to handle that. And in this situation I wasn't even after his gf or her friend.

I guess you'd have to have some prior experience... or at least an attractive gf.

4. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

I'm pretty bold when I'm drunk

but in this case I wasn't doing it for any interior motive than to bring them to our table.

5. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

from what?

get a grip

6. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

what does his/your size have anything to do with anything?

sounds like you're just bragging and get off from asserting your so-called alpha male-ness.

7. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

:cjerk:

The guy did have every right to come over and assume you were trying to hit on his girl, but if he honestly walked up and pushed you then there was no right way of handling it other then not escalating it further.

8. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

sounds like you're short

9. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

You're in a bar...where people are drunk off their asses...so this shit is going to happen once in a while I think.

Especially considering that it seems like bars are really just an easy tool for getting laid in a night. Most guys go to a bar to: drink with their buddies and/or hit on girls. So if a guy sees you talking to his gf, he's probably going to feel threatened.

10. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

Being at a bar is a social event, atleast for me. Even if I have a girlfriend, I'm going to talk to the people around me, thats the whole point of the place if I'm not mistaken. So him talking to the girls was not out of place as far as I'm concerned. As far as the guy "protecting" his girlfriend, I can see both sides. He felt threatened as you looked like you were hitting on his girlfriend, but there is a way to handle that which is a different story. Him shoving you and immediately starting with insults is childish and inappropriate. Maybe you were friends in high school, maybe you really did recognize her from a class or from work? I don't know, but insults and physical confrontation is not the way. Had it been me, I'd come up, put my arm on your shoulder and introduce myself, let you know who I was and possibly make friends. Hell, afterall you are "attracted" to my girlfriend, so we obviously have atleast 1 thing in common right from the start.

In any event, if the story is as you've told it, you've done nothing wrong.

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

If your own friends were annoyed and putting "shame" on you I'm willing to bet you were far more of a douche than you paint yourself to be in the initial post.

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

That's pretty funny :rofl:

You picked the wrong seat is all.

13. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

well see that's what I felt offended by

not the guy giving me a hard time about talking to his friends and gf but the fact that my friends didn't want to associate with me.

However, the story is authentic. I spoke to my friends about it and I clearly felt betrayed. They just kept saying that it was his gf and I should have just left after he shoved me and called me an asshole. I'm very docile so I didn't retaliate and instead just stayed in "his" seat and asked him a few more questions.

14. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

I smug my own farts too

15. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

had it been the other seat there may have not been such an event I suppose

16. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

So wait, the guy said his name was Bouncer?

17. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

no he tried calling the bouncer over

I should have told him he should call him mom while he was at it

He wouldn't give me a name and I asked him twice. :greddy:

18. iwishyouwerebeer

While I don't fault you at all, nothing you did was wrong in any way, it's hard since I wasn't there. I still have a feeling had I been there (just going off your friend's startled reactions) that you should have just backed down. The guy sounded totally ridiculous and out of line, but you come off rude and pompous because you were getting a kick out of asking him more questions, as if you were trying to make him feel stupid.

I personally would have probably laughed had you been my friend, but it sounds like your friends saw something differently than you.

19. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

your friends are threatened/jealous

that guy was an insecure prick and could have handled it better

When I found out which one was his girlfriend I would have told him I was hitting on her particularly

If my friends got angry I'd ask what the big deal was.

You CAN approach if you're in a relationship. It's called being social at a bar. If you wanted to sit around and cry you'd get delivery to your apartment.

You did fine. Don't even second guess whether you should have approached because a.) you did, and it's over and your friends pussied out, and b.) doing something is better than doing nothing.

There ARE times it's not good to approach. This was fine, but you ran into a bad situation. That happens so much it's crazy.

One way I exit this exact situation was when the dude was getting ALL WORKED UP over this shit I just said to the girls "OK take care if your friend he really cares about you but come say bye to me before you leave" with a smile and left. Almost in a naive way like "oh that guy couldn't have been angry at MEEEEE".

FUCK the look on his face if he had a gun or knife or wasn't smaller than me I might not be typing this.

20. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

you did nothing wrong, the guy was just a douchebag.

My g/f gets approached all the time when we're out and i simply walk up and introduce myself if she hasnt already. The other guy will 99% bow out gracefully and walk away. I would never just walk up and shove him and call him an asshole. You had far more restraint than i would've had dealing with that jackass.

21. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I dont know if this was just a typo or what, but dont you mean ogled? :rofl:

22. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

If i were you i would have stood up and looked down to him and been like sorry they didnt mention that the seat was taken. and do it with a condisending smile on your face. Then walk away and say its was nice talking to you ladies.

or

IF you want to be a bad ass give him the 500 speach from knock around guys. followed by the beating of his life

23. Toda Party

Toda Party .....

Its always OK to talk to whoever you want, whenever you want.

24. iwishyouwerebeer

:bowrofl: That would have been perfect. That is all that needed to be done.

25. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

also why i have never had to fight. :naughty:

i love to feel smug when walking away