Bandwith Speed Question on Wireless Setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MaxedOut, Jan 26, 2005.

1. MaxedOut

MaxedOut New Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Network Gurus, I need your help. I currently setup a wireless network in my house. The products are Links Wireless G router and Links USB network adaptor. The type of connection I have is cable modem. After hooking up the network, my signal strength is Excellent on my PC that has the wireless adaptor but i've bandwith tested and it is significantly lower than the other PC that is directly hooked into the router and my cable modem. The PC that I play PC games on is the one with the network adaptor and it is terrible trying to play and I get alot of "lag". I wanted to ask, I understand that wireless would be abit slower than just running a ethernet cable but didnt' realize it was this much of difference or is it? Would i see alot more improvement in my bandwith speed if i did get a ethernet cable long enough? Also the wireless adaptor i purchased is external and requires a usb port. I read that it supports 2.0 ports and 1.1, and i know my USB port on my computer is 1.1. So do you think that might be the main problem? Should i take that back and get a internal wireless card? Would that effect my bandwith substantially? Should I go the hardwired route instead of the wireless since i will be gaming on the PC that is not directly hooked into the modem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.[/font]

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

usb 1.1 is likely your problem. I had a Netgear 311T and it's great.

3. MaxedOut

MaxedOut New Member

I'm guessing that maybe my problem as well. I guess i'll try swapping an internal wireless card with this USB card and see if things change.

4. MaxedOut

MaxedOut New Member

I may look more into my setup. I dont know if the WEP on the router makes much of a difference or not. I believe i have it disabled right now. I'll play with it abit and see..

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WEP will slow ya down and make connections drop randomly.

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Wireless-B is faster than many cable/dsl connections right now but the thing with games is that it is more at risk of being lossy, as in dropping information between itself and the router - that severly hurts a games performance.

By theory the speed is the same but for gaming you probably want a more reliable (wired) connection.