A&P Ball vs Swivel?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by capcrnch, May 7, 2007.

1. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new tripod but I wanted to get an opinion on ballhead versus swivel heads..
    Doesnt anyone have any thoughts, pros vs cons?

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I cant speak for swivel heads but just bought the bogen 486RC2 ball head I like it a lot its very flexible one quick turn of a knob to adjust then lock into place...only con I can think of is it probably isnt very good if you need to do any panning you could probably do it but doesn't seem like the best choice of head for that type of photography. The swivel head just didnt seem as versatile :dunno:

3. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I use the 322RC2 pistol grip and it's convenient since it's very quick in making adjustments. There are two downfalls - 1) it can't hold my 1D MKII with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS in portrait orientation (I think it can hold about 5 lbs in vertical mode, 13 lbs in landscape orientation), 2) your hand can get fatigued if you use it for extended periods. After 3+ hours of repetitive squeezing, my hand begins to cramp if I don't stretch it periodically.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i never really cared for how the ballheads worked. I bought a SLIK 700dx and like it very much.

5. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter