Balancing weight/reps for split sets

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by fray, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fray

fray New Member

When you are doing exercises where you do one side at a time (i.e., one-arm preachers), do you try to balance the weight and reps you use for each arm, or just do the max you can per side?

For example, if you fail on the first arm, but could do more on the second arm, should you go to failure on the second arm, or just stop at whatever reps you got on the first arm? I feel like doing the max on both sides independently means they will never be equal and balanced. Is that thought incorrect?

2. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

i would recommend using equal weight on each arm to avoid developing imbalances.

3. fray

fray New Member

Ok. That's what I did - I got like 6 reps w/ 15 lbs on the left arm and then dropped to finish the set. I could've done more on the right arm, but I just did the 6 reps and then dropped weight to finish the set anyway.

4. RG

RG New Member

i only do max what my weaker hand can do. for concentration curls i can do way more on my left hand than right :wtc:

5. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I always start with my weaker and less-coordinated side and however many I can do on that side I match on the other side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.