SRS Balance between the physical and personality

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ded Guy Walkin, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Ded Guy Walkin

Ded Guy Walkin New Member

For me, my last long term SO was only average physically, but her personality was amazing. I eventually ended up breaking up with her because I eventually lost all interest in her physically, and she slowly passed into the "friend" zone. I feel guilty about breaking up with her to this day. Weird huh?

So my question for you OT; In serious long term relationships, which is more important to you in your SO; his/her physical attractivness or her personality? Would you compromise one for the other?

2. KDazzle

KDazzle New Member

i had one girl that was below average looking but she had an amazing personality. then i had a girl that was pretty but she was very bland...after experiencing both, i think in the end i would choose personality..

3. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Is this a question just for the males?

If not then, I'd have to say that looks can really only go so far, if the person doesn't have the personality to go along with it.
    OF COURSE the ideal is a person who is physically attractive to me AND has an amazing personality, but, I definitely think the personality outweighs looks, in general.
    To me, a man's mind, sense of humor, overall attitude,intellect, "spirit", etc, can cause that man to become much more attractive in my eyes, than I might initially have thought, just by looking at him.
    But, I dunno, females are different from males, so.... maybe physical beauty might be more important to men than women?????

I definitely would not be attracted to a physically gorgeous man who was not smart, or was just a "dud" in general.(Like ZIPPO going on in the personality/character dept.) Blech. That's just eye candy, but not worth much more than looking at, KWIM?

4. svetlanalemon

svetlanalemon A little blood and vomit on the car seat...

:werd: ( i'm female )

5. johan

johan Active Member

Personality IS more important. BUT, there is a certain minimum standard for physical looks.
    It's not all-important, but that minimum standard must be met to achieve GF status.

Otherwise, you'll roll around with her, but you won't want to be seen with her on your arm.

6. the_chizzle

the_chizzle New Member

good point, there is a minimum standard, i'll agree with that. but even that standard varies with the personality, and even how the person acts when you are intimate.

7. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Basically. I think in most people's mind, first they figure if the person is good looking enough for them. Then they evaluate their personality, see if it's good or not. Maybe in some rare cases someone might not be good looking enough but have an amazing personality and you take em in, or vice versa.

8. johan

johan Active Member

ya that's pretty much how the decision making process goes.

9. Digital_angel

Digital_angel New Member

i guess good looks are alright.
    I would go more for personality I cant have a relationship with someone who i cant talk with or have fun with. I think if the have okay looks but have an amazing personality it makes up for it. Because when you get old looks go bad but personality last forever......cheesy as that sounds

10. Ded Guy Walkin

Ded Guy Walkin New Member

thanks for the responses, its almost what I expected. One thing I have noticed is that women seem to be far more forgiving of a mans physical attributes. Sure, there are gold diggers and the like, but over all, Ive been in a lot of situations where a friend will lean to me and whisper, "christ, what the hell is she doing with him?"

What Johan said is . . . dead on I think.

"Otherwise, you'll roll around with her, but you won't want to be seen with her on your arm."