BAh, i need to pick yous guys brains some more.... V.more.pc.building.questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xXVERBXx, Jan 29, 2008.

1. xXVERBXx

xXVERBXx Tungsten Carbide Member

Ok, so i'm building my first gaming rig here soon, And i'm kinda go pricy, so i have to wait on buying the HDD and a new copy of vista, my question is can i use the HDD from my current PC?

Uninstall the old sound/video drivers, but still use XP that is on this HDD for the new PC temporary untill i can afford to get the new HDD and vista? :dunno:

and question 2:

Ok say for now i just want to go with 2gb of ram, and upgrade to 2more gb later when i get the HDD, can i just buy 2 more 1gb stick of the same ram, or does it have to be a 4x 1gb kit form the get go?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

question1. possible, but it will be tough. similar to vmware p2v process... hardest part is getting the OS not to go nuts or blue screen when it sees a new mobo/northbridge, etc... imho, not worth it if your pc uptime is critical. why not install linux on the old and transfer the vista license to the new machine.

question2. you don't need a 4 dimm kit to use 4gb. you can get Two 2x1GB kits. That's what i have and it works great. I did get the same exact brand and model ram though to decrease the probability of incompatibility issues...

3. xXVERBXx

xXVERBXx Tungsten Carbide Member

changed the 4 stick outs for 2 x 2gb sticks and helped droped the price down. :coold:

Any one have any opionions on this precessors?

45nm technoligy
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That's the cpu I would go with if I were putting a build together today.