MIL BAH for single E5s

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Julius, May 17, 2009.

1. Julius

Julius Guest

Our barracks (Ft. Stewart) are overpopulated, so it looks like I'll have a good chance of drawing BAH when I'm promoted.

My question of this: Will I get fucked over and have to move back on post when our BCTs begin deploying again? Barracks space will definitely free up when this happens. I can't get a straight answer from anyone.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

When the situation that forced the base to move you out of the barracks no longer exists, you will lose your BAH.

3. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

when my barrack was 95% manned, i requested BAH and got it.
    From then on, no matter what happened to my status or to the barracks, i was receiving BAH and BAS.
    Im not totally sure about how army BAH works, but this was in the navy

4. Julius

Julius Guest

FFFFFFUUUUUUU

5. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

How do NCOs get stuck in the dorms then?

6. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

you cant go back /

7. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

not true. We had a SrA move back in after living off base for two years.:ugh:

8. Julius

Julius Guest

I'm not a BAH whore, but I would seriously like to not be anywhere near disobedient, immature fags during my off time. It would be nice to stay in my own place, rather than traveling all the way home each weekend.

ibmarriage

9. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

why though ? i know alot of people saving some money by finding roommates.

10. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

NCO's don't get stuck in the dorms. E-4's are given the option to move out after three years time in service.

Barracks/dorms are no longer a part of Air Force culture.

11. Ranger-AO

Fraud/Waste/Abuse :ugh:

12. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

E4 over 4 and E5's in the Navy all draw BAH. Lots of openings in the barracks on base but they don't even offer that as an option unless you probably beg them.

Drawing $1680/mo extra in pay just for being an E5 :)

13. evan2

evan2 Guest

lol I know E3s who got BAH, all depends on how full the dorms are or your situation. My troop had a mother who lived in town with cancer, he never even lived in the dorms. Lived with her and collected BAH.

You do not need 3 years and e4 to move out....just typical but I was in the dorms for a few months after I put e4 on and was over 3 years.

If a airman gets in trouble he could be pulled back into the dorms. My buddy Jason was a e4 off base got a DUI and now is living in the dorms.

You can also request to live in them.

14. Scroder

Scroder Member

Shit, I moved off base as a single E-3 in the AF at Elmendorf back in 2001 with another buddy that was an E-3 and never moved back even when they built 4 new dorms. E-5 selects were told they needed to start looking at places to move off base cause sergeants couldnt live in the dorms lol

15. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Tell that to the NCO's living in dorms here at Kadena.

16. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Kneejerk response. The Air Force is not the same as the Army. The Air Force probably spends twice as much as the Army for it's single junior enlisted housing.... if not more.

I know that it's highly likely that you have absolutely no idea how much it costs to feed and house an Air Force airman in a dormitory. If that number exceeds their rated BAH/BAS rates then letting them move out is the smart thing to do.

Sucks to be them. Was it not obvious that I was talking about stateside assignments? I'm sure they don't let everybody live off base in Korea either.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  17. evan2

evan2 Guest

AF ones? They might choose to live in them.

18. Ranger-AO

Wow. I thought things might have changed since I was active duty AF. There was a night/day difference back then between CONUS and overseas bases. CONUS seemed to always be full of lazy pampered fucks. Overseas (at least TAC bases) were much more combat/mission oriented. And proud of it.

Looks like not much has changed in the 26 years since I left the AF. :rolleyes:

19. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

<------E-4 single pulling BAH HAHAHAHHAHAHA training room FTW

20. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

The three year E-4 thing is a recent development. The policy for CONUS came down about six years ago I think.

Also, TAC "died" in 1992 when most of the TAC and SAC resources were combined to form the ACC.

Having an apartment off base means you're a "pampered fuck?" :ugh: Being down range is different in pretty much every way when compared to a CONUS assignment. While you're sitting in your comfortable computer chair reminiscing about how much "more military" the Air Force was back when you were in, consider that pretty much everybody now, no matter what the AFSC, is trained for and eligible to be pulled for jobs out eating dirt with the Army (God bless you soldiers). I know computer programmers who've been blown up by IED's on convoys in Afghanistan. There's nothing wrong with wanting to lead a somewhat normal life when you're not on a 365 living in a fucking mud hut over in Centcom.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  21. Ranger-AO

that one thing? no. it's just one part of the picture.

You obviously misunderstood what I was saying. I said nothing about how much "more military" the AF was when I was active duty. I said that there was a big difference between CONUS and overseas AF assignments. Compared to overseas, CONUS are a bunch of pampered fucks.

22. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

My apologies, it was the "26 years" comment that set me off.

23. Ranger-AO

No problem. Don't let the 26 years fool you. I have some current experience as well.

24. evan2

evan2 Guest

Who the fuck cares if you live a pampered life, you know damn well no one likes living in the shit. You guys made your own choices about which branch you wanted to be in. If you enjoy getting shot at then enjoy it, do not try to diss me because I enjoy being in the AC checking email and OT.

We all get paid the same base pay depending on rank and are on the same fucking team.

25. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I have no doubt about that. :dunno:

Once in the Air Force, it's really easy to stick around even after you separate.