Bad storm took out my PC last night.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Aug 6, 2009.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Last night we had a bad storm come through the area pretty quick. I never turn off my PC so I didn't think to do it this time.

After it was all over here's what I have lost:
    1. Router - smoked.
    2. Phone system (3 handsets and answering machine).
    3. Sprinkler system controller thingy.
    4. My Denon reciever (none of the hdmi ports are working as of now. Will try to do a reset on the unit tonight).
    5. 25 ft. HDMI cable toast.
    6. Comcast HD DVR box (will swap it out today :hs:
    7. My PC :wtc: . i had it on a cheap Cyber Power UPS but it apparently didn't help.
    That's all I know of at the moment.

My pc will come on (fans spin) for about 2 - 3 seconds and then turn off and repeat. I may go try and find a power supply tester locally and see if that's it. It's just hard to troubleshoot unless i have another similar system to swap parts. What a shitty shitty night. :wtc::wtc:

2. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

Damn. A big storm came through not too long ago and for some reason, I wasn't the least worried about my laptop getting fried (it was on AC power the whole time).

Either the PSU needs to go or the mobo's gone. Did you have any surge protectors? If so, how catastrophically did they fail?

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

My pc is connected to a cheap Cyber Power UPS that is a surge protector as well.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

check out the details on the cyber power UPS, many of them will have some sort of insurance that will cover you if your gear gets fried...

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks but I've read that most of the time there is always some "condition" that will exclude them from the warranty.

I'm sure it's either the power supply or the motherboard. I just don't have a way to test the mobo.

6. caddymac

caddymac New Member

How was the computer connected to the router, Ethernet? If so, I'm betting the surge came in through the cable line and went down the chain (cable modem -> router -> computer). A UPS/surge suppressor will do little to stop a surge if it is coming through a path outside of what is plugged into it.

Most likely your cable feed into your house is poorly grounded. If you want to stop this from happening again, I'd suggest running a 12AWG green or bare wire from your house panel to cable company's ground block.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A good surge suppressor will have CATV and phone outlets as well.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

oh crap, i probably have the same one hooked into my server, it was like $20 on a black friday special

i have another cyberpower ups that is more expensive and is AVR hooked into my home theater crap

9. deusexaethera

Why do you have a UPS on your home theater?

10. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Depends on the home theater equipment. I am getting one to run my home theater projector when the electricity fails. It will keep the fans running long enough to cool the bulb. Without it, the fans shut off and the bulb overheats for lack of airflow and can shatter. My friend had it happen not long after he bought his new bulb, $300 gone because the electric failed during a storm for about a minute. As for any other equipment in a home theater, not really a need for it unless you wanna keep watching tv for the next couple minutes. Or he could have a HTPC that he wants to be able to have safely shut down when the power fails.

11. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

better question.....why not? UPS are fairly cheap when compared to the combined value of the items they protect.

I two, one protecting my PC and one protecting my HTPC/ home theater

12. deusexaethera

I can understand having a surge protector on it, but why a UPS?

EDIT: Then get a tiny UPS for the projector. Though I have to say I don't get why the bulb would overheat after it shuts off, because there's no more heat being generated. I guess I must be missing something, because I would think that staying hot longer wouldn't really matter.

13. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

at least with an UPS system you have time to shut your stuff off (soft power down)

14. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I think those type of bulbs have to be cooled off after they turn off. IOW it blows air across them for a few minutes to vent the heat away from the bulb after the bulb's light goes out.

Of course I could be wrong. :dunno:

15. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Do you own or rent?

All that crap at once... this is why you have insurance.

If you rent and don't have insurance, I have had it in the past and it is insanely cheap. Seriously, price it. You will be like, 'Fuck. Why didn't I have this!'.

16. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

a ups on a home theater is smart if you have a home theater pc or a dvr

sometimes the dvr fucks up upon power return and requires a manual power cycle to get it working.

i just have one on my home theater stuff because i can and it makes me feel more protected.
    i have all my networking equipment and modem on another ups, just incase

17. chips

chips ...

i feel you i had all my networking gear server, desktop htpc, ups, xbox and more killed a month ago. still fighting with the insurance company to get it replaced.

18. negative zero

negative zero New Member

own. I checked with insurance and we have a 1k deductible :eek4:.

19. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

That should be pretty standard IMO.

20. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

A UPS on your home theater is good for multiple reasons beyond being a good surge protector.

It provides you with the ability to do a soft power-down of your gear which is better for it, especially if it's something like a DVR/HTPC that's running some sort of OS.

Second is the fact that it will do what is known as voltage conditioning, ensuring that your gear is seeing a flat 120V all the time instead of the fluctuations that come through the wall. Stable 120V puts much less strain on the power supplies inside of your components, theoretically giving them longer life.

All that being said, don't puss out and buy the cheapest one Best Buy has to offer. It will do you more harm than good. Buy one that is appropriately sized for the amount of gear you have and the power you typically draw.

21. deusexaethera

Also the wattage rating of any power supply is ~2/3 of the volt*amp rating, because the volt*amp rating is based on the maximum VA when the A/C power is at its peak, and wattage takes into account the average VA across the entire A/C sinewave.

If you don't know what that means, just take the VA rating and knock a third off it.

22. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Just call your home insurance company. Almost sounds like a lightning hit. They should replace your stuff.

23. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Nah. It's a 1K deductible and they want me to take it to a shop to get a quote. Just easier to buy new stuff. It all doesn't total to over 1k anyways.

A new motherboard is ~$100.

Router was 60.

Phones were 60.

My Denon receiver i the biggie. I sent it off today. Hopefully it gets fixed under warranty.