GUN Bad press v High School Gunman

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Sep 28, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_271130225.html

(CBS13) OROVILLE A disgruntled student has been taken into custody and hostages freed after shots were fired on campus at Las Plumas High School in Oroville.

Officials say a 17-year-old student with a gun entered the band room this morning and fired at least two shots before taking a teacher and 6 students hostage.

Just after 10:30, the student surrendered and released all the hostages. There are no reports on injuries.

The school, which has about 1,400 students, was on lockdown during the hostage situation. The students are now being released and taken by bus to the Church of the Nazarene where their hundreds of parents are waiting to pick them up.

Many of the parents have gotten their information about the hostage situation from their own children who had been calling them by cellphone or with text messages. "Thank God for cellphones. I mean literally.", one parent told CBS13, "I have a prepaid plan that I'm going to put her on with endless minutes after this. It's very scary and I'm just grateful that she could call me because if not I would be really having a hard time right now."

The church is located at 2238 Monte Vista Avenue. School officials are asking parents not to go to the school.

The gunman is being interviewed as well as the hostages.

The county is making crisis counselors and youth service counselors available to students and anyone who may need them. The counselors are at the Southside Community Center located at 2959 Wyandotte Avenue.

All Oroville Union High School District schools were put on lockdown.

A Butte County Sheriff's dispatcher said a 911 call came in from the school just after 9 a.m.

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

The kid will probably spend more time in jail for the firearm violations than for the hostage taking.

3. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Crackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

:ugh: another reason teachers should be legally allowed to carry at work.

4. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

DOT.