bad odor coming from the trunk

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by babygodzilla, Oct 16, 2004.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

last week my friend spilled drinking water all over the trunk. i didnt do much about it except for airing it and drying it out in the sun. then the trunk started smelling, and eventually the inside of the car. i took it to a car hand-wash place, and they hand-washed it with a lot of stuff (degreaser and some other stuff). that did some of the trick. the smell isnt as bad but i can still smell it. its not too bad in the car, but i can definitely smell it in the trunk. what should i do?? i have to pick up someone at the airport in a couple of days and it'll be embarassing to have a smelly car :( any sprays i can use (not Lysol)???

thanks for any help!!

2. dilligaf

dilligaf -

febreze worked pretty well when my convertible got rained in.

3. KwKouki

KwKouki New Member

FireD will get ANY smell out of auto carpet. And smells good too

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

wow is febreeze really THAT good? ive had more than 5 people on OT alone tell me that

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Febreze is crap. All it does is cover up the smell with a nasty odor of it's own. Unless that deatailer used an ozone cleaner, you wasted your money.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Frebreeze did a decent job on my car when I couldn't get my door open quickly enough and blew chunks all over my door, dash and driver's side mat, carpet and seat. Of course, I also completely cleaned the area as well.

7. dilligaf

dilligaf -

You may want to scrub the carpet down with some woolite as well. It also leaves a good smell behind.

8. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

don't those fabric softener strips of linen kind of absorb the odors?

my friends used to use it to get the odor of plant based smoke out of their cars.
    it was pretty effective when used religeously.

9. solaraguy

solaraguy Guest

Gee, I'm surprised nobody has told you to take the dead body out of the trunk, LOL.

Seriously, I would start with the fridge/freezer box of baking soda - you know, the one that you peel the cardboard sides off of? That won't spill and does a pretty good job, plus it will cost you like 75 cents. If it doesn't help you aren't out much.

For as small of a spill as you've described I can't imagine that you would get any mildew damage with the drying you did, but if that's what you have you will need to take stronger measures. Top of the Line sells some stuff that will probably help you. I have posted a link to their odor control line: http://www.topoftheline.com/odor-removal.html. If you have mold/mildew they do have a special cleaner. You may also be intererested in their odor removal bomb.