bad form and posture crew v.need a back dr

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lilox, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

just started seeing an osteopath to get some resolution on my lower back curve and forward head posture, to cut a long story short I fucked myself up by sitting badly at desks for 10 years and poor form and incorrect muscle targeting down the gym

anyone had good results with an osteopath? i feel better after the first session but its going to be grueling period trying to get back into shape (literally)

wheres the hunchback smiley?

2. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

I'm interested to hear how it works out for you.
    i have sloppy posture and its painful to sit straight.

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

4. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

i will update on tuesday when I know how long my treatment is going to be, I had an initial checkup last week where he identified the problems, said my back and posture was fuck awful and cracked my lumbar and spine (sooo nice)

the whole process is really gentle and smooth, but i was sore the next day,

a freind of mine has just had a 3 week course and it has helped her a lot apparently,

i think back and posture are important to sort out as soon as possible, I am 25 and i have constant dull pain and my lumbar is getting to the point it clunks when I sit down,

I want to sort out the posture and the muscle tension problems I have now so I have a good solid base to put muscle onto in the gym

this article is good also

http://www.drbookspan.com/NeckPainArticle.html

5. VANOS

VANOS .

Go to an M.D, not a fucking osteopath

6. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

I used to be like the first pic before I started lifting, somewhere between the second and third now.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I don't even know what an osteopath is... I just know that any time a lifter here goes to a back doctor they never get proper help. This is what's worked for me as far as straightening my posture and improving my form on squats and deadlifts:

foam roller foam roller foam roller foam roller foam roller

you don't need to spend your life on the thing... just a minute before you warmup (or after, depends on your preferences) and at least once a day regardless of whether or not you're lifting. Just rolling your spine along it and gently leaning back to loosen up the spine throughout the thoracic area = money.

Also important things: core training and core awareness. You don't have to go crazy with it... Just don't neglect your abs/obliques entirely. Keep them really tight when squatting and deadlifting.

I think what's worked for me is every few days i'll look in the mirror for a few minutes, analyze my posture, mess around with trying different muscles and positions of balance to see how I can straighten out my spine when I stand/walk, then I take note of how that posture feels (i.e. what muscles i'm using, what the balance feels like, etc) so I can stay in that posture or re-activate it the next time i lift.

The back is a very complex area and for people with shitty body awareness (example: me), poor posture and form is the result. The key is to think about it a lot and re-evaluate what you're doing frequently. Take pics of your back from different angles to see how your spine is aligned, where your scapulae are positioned when you're resting, and also if you can, take vids of your lifts so you can see what your posture is like during those. Then, read the articles posted here which tell you all about core stability, thoracic mobility, and pelvic tilt and how they all effect posture... and figure out what it is you need to work on (chances are you need to work on all of them, I think that's always the case).

8. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

I still think its worth seeing someone to help you out, my osteopath is quite cheap $50 a visit and I can probably get it back via insurance

turns out I have two points on my spine that won't move and thats causing pain in my traps.

its amazing though, a few movements and two cracks and you start to feel more conscious of your posture, he also pushed one of my vertebrae with his finger and that has made me aware of the point i need to straighten to improve my posture, no amount of standing up straight would have found that.

all in all, probably one of the best things i've done in years

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

the point of the foam roller is to mobilize stiff vertebrae like you just paid to have done. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to get it looked at... but a couple visits won't help at all compared to really focusing on how to fix it yourself... at least for me.

Foam roller = mobilization
    Frequent observation/studying/experimenting with posture in the mirror = learning where i need to focus more energy on.

10. friedrice

friedrice New Member

Any recomndations on said foam rollers? Just get anyone or is there better to get brands? Links?

11. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

12. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

the main point is, you can self correct and really fuck things up further, thats why I'm seeing a back quack and changing my life ergonomics

more than a couple of visits, i see this as a long term thing to keep me straight :)

13. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

The best thing that helped sort out my posture was simply paying attention to it constantly. Always sitting up straight at work, not slouching when I'm walking etc.

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

That may be your main point, but what I'm saying is that there's a lot of articles out there by professional physical therapists and kinesiologists that give a lot of tips and info on how to better your posture while lifting and in your everyday life. I'm talking about tens of pages of information versus a few words from a doctor.

If your doctor has a squat rack in their office and teaches you how to squat or deadlift with better posture, then yeah you should stick with that option. If not, then you may be better off doing this on your own. I've seen PT's and all they've done was taught me stretches and done some work on my spine, but they never really taught me how to sit straight or lift with good posture... They help create the ability to have better posture through loosening the necessary muscles, but they don't teach you how to achieve or use it. That's stuff you'll most likely have to learn elsewhere, so don't rely 100 or even 50% on the doctor. Do some research and stop being scared of hurting yourself. The resources available weren't written by retards, they're produced by experts like Mike Robertson, Bill Hartman, Eric Cressey, etc who know what they're talking about. Check em out.

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

keep sticking with it. After the last six months of really doing that all day long, I'm pretty much stuck in that position and even though I know I'm engaging my back muscles to keep my scapulae back and down, chin tucked, and lower abs tight, I don't even feel myself doing it anymore. The other benefit to that is I see the same thing during my lifts... I really don't even have to think about it anymore... If I'm full squatting, I just think "down, up, down, up" and no problems.

16. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

sorry skeletor, but you are missing the point, there is lots of data out there yes, I have read it and referred to some of it previously, I think you may be missing the point that by telling people to simply read to correct a problem isn't the best thing to do, sure the guys you refer to may have 200 phds between them, but average joe with poor posture doesn't and may interpret or false diagnose his own condition and as a result end up causing more damage to their back by over correcting.

2 weeks ago i assumed i had a bad neck, i was doing exercises to correct that, I now know I have two frozen sections in my back and the lower one needs to be worked to free up every other problem in my back. I have no pain in my lower back it is all in my upper back but caused by lower back problems...

I think seeing a professional has meant the problem has been identified more efficiently and I am seeing result a lot quicker, $100 and I know where the problems are, how to sit to fix them and what exercises i should do - plus the problem areas have been worked out each time to free them up. I may have spent months trying to self diagnose and correct that.

17. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

yuh interesting response

2 x M.D
    - you have a clicky back deal with it....
    -oestopath - your back is clicking and clunking due to these 2 core reasons heres how i fix you in 5 20 minutes sessions (and its working big style)

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Yeah dude. The spine is very complex. At first I thought all I needed to do was straighten my thoracic area, but really what I needed to do was fix my pelvic tilt, because an imbalance on one end of the spectrum causes an imbalance on the opposite side.

Anyways, I quickly learned my problems and I've been getting better and stronger and lifting with better form at an increasing rate for the last 6 months. If I can do it and shitloads of other guys on F&N can, you could too. You were probably just impatient or didn't properly research the subject and that's why you hurt yourself. The fact that you don't even bother reading articles which have been provided for you and just keep defending the doctor as the only way to fix the problem shows how incompetent you really are.

19. solid snake

solid snake New Member

in for foam roller bandwagon

20. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

whatever works for you, my route was however safer, quicker and easier and I can now work on correcting my problems confident I am not going to cause problems elsewhere. And I didn't start out by going down the wrong route......

hope next time you get a headache you don't set out to be a brain surgeon ;)

any way, for people who are reading everything on the net, I think its really worth while to use that as a compliment to seeking medical advice, the article I posted above has helped me sort out some bad ergonomics in my life and the exercises and osteopaths have removed the pain in my upper and lower traps in 3 weeks, my upper back posture has also improved and not just by sitting up straight.

I would recommend any back or posture problems you at least spend the 50bucks to see someone before you start trying to correct the problem, even if you can't do weekly visits then just go every month for the first 3 months to make sure you aren't causing problems elsewhere or working the wrong areas.

21. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Those articles don't tell you how to fix your posture. The last one mentions neutral grip facepulls, pushups, and overhead barbell shrugs for the shoulders but what are some exercises for posture?

22. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

whats helped me:

face pulls

deadlifts

going light as necessary on rows to enable you to pull your shoulders back

farmers walks with shoulders back and chest out

overhead press with strict form (lightest weight necessary for strict form)

23. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

4 weeks in and 3 sessions, 2 sessions left and the results so far are

1) pain gone from upper back and neck
    2) lower back clunks less
    3) posture 90% better
    4) lopsided look gone

both my non moving joints have movement now and my back is noticeably straighter,

verdict - if you have problems, see a professional, just once even if you want to go alone after that, you need to find out what is causing your incorrect posture

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.