MIL Bad experience with a recruiter.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accido, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

I never really saw myself actually doing this, but I've been thinking of joining the military. I want to do my part in whatever way I can, however I have medical conditioned that my recruiter needed to verify before a physical could be scheduled. Two branches have caught my eye so far, the Navy and the Army. I've been looking at both, however my army recruiter is getting really upset over my indecision. Even though I kept telling him to slow down the process because I wasn't sure which branch I wanted to join, he kept pushing for some things to be done and collected for application processes. I figured I'd need this stuff for the Navy anyway so I collected it all and gave it to him. He called me up one day around 7pm and said I've scheduled you for an Asvab, Friday okay? I said, quite literally, "I think I need to study more. I'm not happy with my score." he said the score didn't matter, all it was for was to see if you could join. *sigh* okay, that's fine I guess. But the Navy recruiter said my ASVAB scores are directly related to the jobs I get. This is where the army recruiter gets pissed. I take a another pretest the night before the real test and I bombed again. I haven't *really* studied math since, well since I had pimples. Not even in college. anywho, that same day before the test I found out from the Navy I really do need to get really high scores get in and get the best jobs for them. The petty officer and one of his guys tell me they both scored in the 60's, whatever that means, so that's what I'm shooting for. I try to tell this to my army recruiter and he doesn't buy it. He says that's not what the test does. The day of the exam I really talk to the recruiter again about this and he flips out. He yells at me over the phone and says: "You don't want to join the army. Now that you're not taking the test today you're not getting into the army so go to the Navy."

Did I do this totally unprepared or what? :o

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  2. Shingmaster

Shingmaster omgOTbangaz4life

your army recruiter sounds like an asshole. I think you need at least a 31 to join the navy.. i'm not 100% sure though. I got a 70 on my ASVAB, and I didn't study at all (probably not a good idea). Just talk to a different army recruiter

3. Accido

Accido New Member

I keep getting in the 40's and 50's with the pretest. But to qualify for some of the good Navy jobs, the petty officer says to get a 60 or even better a 65, which he said would get me just about every job. Then, the only thing stopping me from doing any of those jobs would be me. :) sounds good, but boy do I have to study. :-\

4. Shingmaster

Shingmaster omgOTbangaz4life

from what i've heard the pretest is harder than the real thing

5. Vegasoutkast

Vegasoutkast New Member

The recruiter is a cock muncher - Good luck with the Navy :)

6. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Hell with rushing. Do it on your time line not his.

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You should call the Army recruiter again and record the conversation. Then send it to his commander.

8. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Your Army recruiter is skirting the truth. While your AFQT score (the score people usually list as their "ASVAB Score" is used only to determine whether you can join the military or not, your COMPOSITE Scores are absolutely used for job selection. If your composite scores are lower than the minimum for the job you want, you will not be able to select that job. End of story.

This post will help, and it has links to good ASVAB info: http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=60853505&postcount=2