Bad cable?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CruD, Apr 7, 2004.

1. CruD

CruD Bah, I'll just hack it

Before I got employed with this company, someone ran a cable from the wall in the conf. room to the back server room and into the switch. Now when I started here about 8 months ago it was working fine. Until about 2 weeks ago we had no problems accessing the internet from that outlet. Since about 2 weeks ago we can get absolutly no network activity. I've placed a terminator at one end of the cable in the server room (the one coming from the ceiling from the conf. room) and placed a cable from the outlet to a cable tester and it says the cable itself is fine. Whenever i plug the cable from the outlet into my laptop, it turns off the "Network cable is missing" notification but i still get no activity. I know if the outlet wasn't live, it wouldn't turn off that notification so something must be going on here. Any ideas?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Could you just rerun the cable? Sounds like the easiest solution.

This remins me of the other day when I was down working in the server room and my boss came by and asked me if everything was OK. I said yeah.....with some hesitation. Then he said that the whole building lost internet connectivty. :o :o :o

Turns out the cable that fed our gigE switch from the campus backbone would go out if you just bumped it, and when I opened the door to our Dell rack it hit it. I ran a new cable and it worked fine.

:rofl:

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If it's a managed switch you could have turned off the port - or the port has gone bad. Have you switched ports on the switch? I have a problematic connection at work that is sporadic as well, changed the cable, nothing, changed the port, resolved it (I think). Could be the network card as well.

Also, in your case because it's a long run, there may be interference on the line that doesn't effect continuity, but does prevent a stable connection.

4. CruD

Yea - I'll probably have to. It's just extremely hard.. lol.. I'll have to tie the cable to something and throw it across the attic.. lol..

5. CruD

Yea its on a Cisco catalyst 2950 switch, i've checked the status of the port and even tried switching ports. no luck. i've been thinking it could be because of interference, however, if thats the case what would you suggest doing? I've got to have this room internet ready by the 21st.

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

psst. it's a tarp

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If it is interference, run a line along the hallway to ensure that that resolves the problem. If so, then you need to rerun the entire length again, or put a switch where the closest working outlet is and run a line from there. It's not the best solution but it will save you some time and energy (assuming you have switches lying around).