bad bios flash, help!!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lowfat, Oct 7, 2004.

1. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

So like the title says, i had a bad flash. now my computer is freezing just after the post. I've tried clearing the cmos, and other ideas. Or where is a good place to get a new bios chip from?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You can't get a new BIOS (well, maybe from another board identical to yours, but not on the open market).

First, are you absolutly sure it is a bad flash? If it is posting, I have to question that.

Second, when you did the flash did you backup the old BIOS (if your answer is no, please smack yourself upside the head). If you did, have you tried to restore the flash?

Can you get into the BIOS setup program? When you flash the BIOS is usually wipes out any changes you made to the old one. Is there something in the settings that is wrong now?

Finally, did you try flashing it again to the new BIOS (don't overwrite your old backup if you did get one!)

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Oh, also check you MoBo manual and see if it has a built in BIOS recovery feature. Some boards have redundant BIOS chips, others can reflash even with a dead BIOS by holding down a special key combo (varies by board).

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How do you backup the BIOS before you flash it??

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

the program you used to falsh it should ask you to as part of the process

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

i backed it up, but it wouldn't let me even get to using a floppy it would freeze before then. But i fixed it, we booteed a friends machine with the same MB, pulled the bios, placed mine in, flashed it, then put it back in my machine. worked like a charm.