Backup System.. Help!?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dj_MikeyMike, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Dj_MikeyMike

Dj_MikeyMike New Member

Okay.. so at the office we have a few computers that get used a lot.. and the programs we use.. run of 1 central computer.. and is updated a lot..

so i was thinking of setting up a seperate comp/server/whatever to store such things on.. but also be able to run a script.. to back up the office computer files to the server.

I have heard about setting up just a "pc" or a dedicated server.. or now you can get one of the casings where u just put a hdd in.. plug a network cable in and voila..

Any Suggestions?

2. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

what's the budget like?

Super cheap is an external HD using windows backup utility on a schedule.

3. Dj_MikeyMike

Dj_MikeyMike New Member

budget is not really important.. i just need something that will keep the important files secure.. also.. possibly run a few scripts to download the updates etc.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

With the price of dual layer DVD burners around $70 or less and a 25 pack of disks at ~$15, it's really hard to beat this as a backup solution. If you wanna back up every night just used DVD RWs so you can reburn the disks.

EDIT: Oh and Network Attached Storage solutions are somewhat cheep and very easy to use. Basically it's just a HD that has some networking components in it. Looks like a network drive so you can just copy and paste. Very handy.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I threw a big internal drive in my system for backup. I use a backup program (backup4all.com) that runs a full backup once a week, then a differential backup every night. It backs up open files and saves everything to zip files that I set to be 2GB max. The zip files get manually burned to DVD once a week or so.

Remember, user error is your worse enemy. People accidently delete files or change files, then wish they had the version from a few days ago. So you want your backups to be easily accessable. But there's also the risk of a major disaster like a fire or theft so you need something you can keep off site easily too.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Shadow Copies FTMFW for your first point, but offsite backups is the only answer to the 2nd.

7. Dj_MikeyMike

Dj_MikeyMike New Member

Yeah right now i go in 3 times a week to make backups manually.. but thats starting to get really annoying.. i was just thinking of setting something up.. either a server or external hdd..

The things i want to be able to do is.. office comps run the important files of the storage..
    Script that auto backs up from the office comps.. and also
    have it accessible from outside the network..

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

How safe is that though? I'm thinking of doing something similar (but to an internal drive), but I don't want my main disk to fail to find even some of the data on the backup disk to be unreadable for whatever reason (bad blocks etc?).

9. Dj_MikeyMike

Dj_MikeyMike New Member

Thanks for the info guys..

I went out and bought a Netgear Storage Central.. put in 2 x 320gb hard drives.. and is great as network storage and comes with all the backup / partition software i need :)

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's one of the reason I don't like disk based backups as the only backup method. For starters most people don't take them off-site. And then there's the off chance your backup fails as well. You need to burn those files once in awhile - DVD's are cheap