backup solutions v.small office & clients

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crazybenf, Sep 5, 2006.

1. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Currently I use rsync to backup our colocated server to an in house file server, but I'm wanting to backup a few exchange 2003 boxes as well. Some are in house, some are remote.

What windows based software is there for remote backup? I have veritas backup exec and such, but I haven't played with them yet. Any suggestions?

Full backups are NOT going to cut it.. only changed data. (Incremental backups i think they're called?) Bandwidth is of a concern.. once a month full backups are feasible.. but 200GB every night... hell no.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I prefer full backups myself but to each his own. The reason I don't like incremetal backups is because you only need one backup from the last time the full backup was done to be screwed up and your restore process becomes very difficult. Differential is not a bad way to go because you only need the last tape and the last full backup to restore. And that's why I like full backups - less hassle when you do need to restore. Also, if you're backing up any kind of database, incremental or differential backups don't save you any time/space because it changes everyday (unless you want to get really fancy and only back up the byte by byte changes).

We use both BackupExec and MS Windows built in backup software (the latter being a watered down version of BackupExec). It's very good software and can even do brick by brick exchange mailbox backup if you want.

Our main servers are full backups onto tape, our remote offices backup to disk and we physically rotate those disks out once a month and backup to tape.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

We used to use Veritas...good stuff and never had a problem with bu or restos.

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

http://www.packratus.com

Offline backup, cheap, does Exchange, System state, files, shadow file copying, in-file delta, incremental and everything. Back up seamlessly to a tier 2 backbone and the data is replicated to an out of state facility nightly.

5. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

looks like it will do everything I need it to.

Incremental:

Unix -> 2003
    2003 server -> 2003
    XP -> 2003

then that one xp data center -> offsite unix a & offsite 2003 data center b

Word to open source.

6. 7960

7960 New Member