Backup software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, May 9, 2005.

1. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Is there a free peice of software just to do simple backups on windows? I have a few DVD-RW discs and would like to start weekly backing up all of my development to them. What should i use?

EDIT: something more than just moving over files. It would be nice if it could throw a date on the instance and maybe even compress. Thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Have you looked at the backup program in Windows? I have never used it though...
    You could probably then burn the backup to a DVD.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would do something that supports sequential backups -- that way only changes to files are backed up, and subsequent backups are very fast, and small.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yea sequential would be nice. I use Retrospect at several customer's places, but it's not free.

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I've started using the pre-installed Windows backup program and I'm impressed. It allows you to select drives and folders to backup and it compresses everything into a single file. You are later able to query on the file and walk through it to pick out what you would like to restore.

It has 5-6 backup options like full, incremental, something or other, etc. We use full and incremental backups with no trouble at all. The incremental is the one where it only backs up files that have been modified.

It allows scheduling and all that.

Check it out.

This is on Windows 2000 Server BTW.