Backup DVD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Love/Hate, May 3, 2006.

1. Love/Hate

Love/Hate New Member

OK....made my first back up and all I get is the main menu.....what did I do wrong?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What programs did you use?

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

4. rocklee

rocklee New Member

no dvd shrink = no win (DVD SHRINK IS A MUST!!!)

5. CodsterTX

CodsterTX OT Supporter

try looking for a scene rip on the web. usually those are higher quality than personal rips.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

How the heck do we know!? You didn't tell us what you are doing to begin with!

Sorry, not being an ass it's just funny.

7. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Not if he's doing a 1:1 backup :ugh:

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Since he didn't mention what he is doing, no one knows...

I doubt he's making a 1:1 backup though.

9. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

if the dvd is less than 4 gig, can you just use nero to directly copy the cd onto another?

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

if it is not protected with CSS then yes, you can

11. Love/Hate

Love/Hate New Member

My bad...I used DVD shrink and reauthored....I left it in the player and it did end up playing, I just couldn't use the menu anymore..do you lose the menu function when you reauthor or is there something I can do to still have it work?

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Don't reauthor. It's difficult to do correctly. Just remove what you don't want in the full disc backup mode by changing it to "Still Image".

13. Love/Hate

Love/Hate New Member

Will I be able to use the DVD menu?

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Of course. Just don't mess with the menus.

15. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

Using DVD Shrink in backing up your DVD-9 to DVD-5

Tools you will need: All tools used will be freeware, isn’t that nice

DVD Decypter
    VobBlanker
    DVD Shrink

OPTIONAL FIRST STEP:
    I like to burn my DVD’s at a low speed as it helps to reduce burn errors and gives a better
    final product. To set the burn speed open DVD Decrypter and press the W on the
    keyboard. Now set the speed to whatever speed you would like to be the default speed.
    This only has to be done once as DVD Decrypter will remember your choice.

[​IMG]

I will use the DVD “Oceans 11” to show you how to do the process. Remember to
    respect privacy laws, and that you should only copy DVD’s that you “own”.

Part 1: Ripping the DVD to your hard drive.
    Once you have the DVD in your drive, go to DVD Decypter. Click on “Mode” and make
    sure “File” is selected or just press F on your keyboard. Also take note where the DVD
    files will be decrypted to, in my case; it will be copied to
    C:\OCEANS_ELEVEN_2001\VIDEO_TS\. Your screen should look very similar to the
    one shown here. Click the “big” button to start decrypting the files.

[​IMG]

Depending on the speed it may take as quick as 10 minutes to as long as 50 minutes. The
    screen should look very similar to the one shown below.

[​IMG]

Once the files have been copied to your computer, you will receive a message confirming
    that the process is complete, press OK and exit the program. Also take out the disc.

Part II: Removing Unwanted Features.

Now for the fun part, go to VobBlanker and just in case you don’t know, VobBlanker can
    be used to “remove” features on the DVD you do not want by replacing the file with a
    blank screen that lasts for about 2 seconds but remember there will still be an “index” to
    the file but of course a blank screen will replace that specific file.

Now, let’s stop talking and get onto the program. In VobBlanker, click browse (next to
    where “Input Folder” is). Locate the location to where the DVD files were copied. One
    file should only appear which should be called “VIDEO_TS”, click on it. Now, the
    screen should look similar to the one shown below

[​IMG]

Now, this is a matter of your own decision to as which files you want to remove.
    Remember do not blank the file with the largest file size as this most likely will be the
    movie.

To know what file is what, click on one of the files located in the TitleSet and a list of files will be shown on the bottom, as shown below.

[​IMG]

Well the files that appear in the PGC# Column can be previewed easily just right click on
    it and click “Preview and Cut”. A new window will appear and there will be a slider on
    the bottom, you can slide this to any position to preview the file. Once you are done, just
    exit that screen.

[​IMG]

If you are satisfied that this is the file you want to blank, right click on it and click blank.

[​IMG]

There are files that you can blank such as the warning screens, or those enchanting Dolby
    Digital intros, but I like to keep them…don’t know why but just do.

When you have finished blanking the files, click browse, next to the “Output Folder” and
    choose a location to where you want the files to be copied. It will basically copy the
    whole DVD again except replacing those features that you have wished to be blank with
    different vob files, about 300kb. Also, make sure you choose a location different to the
    original files you copied to your computer.

[​IMG]

After choosing your location, click Process, you will see this screen. After some time,
    the processing will be complete, exit the program.

[​IMG]

Part III: Transcoding the DVD files

Now for the second last step, go to DVD Shrink. Click on open files and locate the folder
    to as where you saved the files in VobBlanker.

[​IMG]

Now for the easy part. There are three folders as you can see. There is a total of 65.9%
    compression for this DVD.

[​IMG]
    I am not quite happy with the results yet. There is a solution, by removing unwanted
    audio. Click on the DVD name on the left and choose the audio that you do not want. In
    this example I decided to only keep the first audio track as you can see. Thus reducing
    my compression to 85.4%

[​IMG]

Now I am happy with the results. I have achieved the least compression I needed. Also
    you could have removed some of the subtitles but I decided to keep them all as they do
    not take up much space.

Now for the final part in DVD Shrink. Click Backup. In the first tab, make sure in
    “Select backup target”, ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter is selected; also
    choose the destination to save the file.

[​IMG]

On the next tab, make sure “Region Free” is selected.

[​IMG]

On the next tab “Quality Settings”, make sure “perform deep analysis….” is selected; this
    will be grayed out if there is no video compression. Below that you have the option for
    quality enhancements known as “Adaptive Error Compensation (AEC)”. Ticking this will
    improve the quality, but encoding time will take longer. In my example, I have chosen it
    and chose “Smooth.” I cannot tell you which option is the best as it varies from movie to
    movie and everyone will have their own opinion so it is best for you to experiment the
    different settings.

[​IMG]

In the next two tabs need no changes made to them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally press “OK”, and the encoding will start. The DVD will then also burn on its
    own. A fun little sound will be played when complete.

Here is the guide in PDF form Linky

16. Love/Hate

Love/Hate New Member

Thanks! Starting to get the hang of this.....