Backup Admins

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IAMwhitey, Feb 25, 2005.

1. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

What system are you guys using? Currently we are using Legato but looking into others as the system is outrageously expensive and pretty crappy IMO.

So lets here what you guys are using, and your likes and dislikes.

thanks

whitey

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

There are no cheap enterprise solutions. The three vendors we rated a few years ago all had the same quote, give or take a few 100K. What hardware infrastructure are you going with? Is it mostly EMC? If so, you may want to look at EMC's SRDF.

There's also Veritas NetBackup, which has most of the Open Systems market share. CA's BrightStor IBM's Tivoli Storage Manager are popular products.

What was crappy about Legato in your environment?

3. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

some negatives about the Legato System for us, we use the Storage Tek Silo... the thing is huge! i think it will hold a few thosand tapes. Thats great but we don't need that much. We have about 835 tapes in the silo right now. So that right their is a waste of space. we were breaking down the cost with staying with Legato. Buying the tapes needed would work out to anout 3 dollars a gb. thats hard to justify when their are other companies out their that have a cheaper solution, and hell almost getting disk would be cheaper. I think one of the solutions was the HP solution that worked out to about 80 cents a gig when using their tape backups.

Believe me I know this stuff is not cheap, and hell I am not paying for it so I am not worried about that. Just looking for something better and easier to use thne Legato.

My biggest beef with Legato is their support, you call and the first call is to basically a secretary and they open a ticket. they get back to you about 4 hours later. doesn't make sense to me, since basic support is 30k alone.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

So you have an STK powderhorn. Nice old reliable library. Cheap too. We have that as well as some L700's, L180's, and L20's. Um, what in the world type of tapes are you using? I can't think of tape that cost's $3/gb. Closest thing is a 9480A/B/C at 20GB native around $50 tape and these are getting phased out. Are you sure the numbers are right? Our cost is $.25/GB and that's being generous. It's more like $.10 a GB.

Cheaper solution isn't always better. DLT/SDLT/LTO GII are cheaper solutions, but they are nowhere near as reliable as other more expensive drives like STK 9940B's. There is a high failure rate in LT0 GII tapes and drives if used in a 24x7 environment. Older technologies like DLT and SDLT are more reliable. What HP tape solution is this? I have old tl libraries that are utter pos'. I had to pay people to take them away and they weren't from this country. Plus, you don't look at backup solutions just on the cost of tape! That is obtuse! You look at third party hardware support, scalability, and reliablity. Do you have a NAS? What type? Does it need NDMP? So you have a SAN? Do you snapshot? Are you going to do only LAN-based backups? Planning on direct attached? Planning on having a dedicated backup lan? How DR-friendly is your setup? etc. These are the costs you should be worrying about.

Besides, what do these hardware specs have to do with the software vendor?

Easier to use? What experience have you had with Legato, or NetBackup, or BackupExec? These products can't be anymore straight forward. They are not visually aesthetic like Microsoft apps, but I'm assuming you have some experience in infrastructures and environments like this and easy doesn't come with the territory.

Key work "Basic support". How long have you been an admin, or how long have you been working with ISV support? I haven't dealt with Legato's Basic support, but Basic Support in general is crap, delayed and is pretty much expected. If your business makes $$$ 24x7, then you need more than Basic support no matter the cost. We have their premium support and it costs a little over a mil a year to support our 50 sites worldwide. That is a bargain compared to other vendors. Their support is a little better than STK's, Veritas, and Sun. Much better than HP. Eons better than IBM, Dell...

You still haven't truly listed any issues with Networker, just opinions. Are you in charge of picking out a vendor or are you the technical admin to support it? Is your architect or director scoping out software solutions from Veritas or IBM? I suggest you have which ever vendor throw in training in the package.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  5. __23skidoo

__23skidoo ...has the nuts

I've used Veritas Backup Exec and Now NetBackup which is very nice. I have 2 Overland LTO2 Libraries which are very stable. http://www.overlandstorage.com/powerloader.html

Previously I had a VXA Library, which was not nearly as nice.

If I had the $ to spend and as much data as you seem to have, I would definately go with an EMC solution though.
    Ive never tried Legato.

6. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Any HP backup product I would avoid like the plauge.

I'm a Tivoli admin, so by default it's what I'd recommend. Has been offering to disk backups for 10+ years now.

Otherwise I'd look at Netbackup maybe as another option.

As crontab stated that STK 9310 is a great library though. I was on the GM account here for EDS till I left and we had three of those libraries rolled out, one with two connected via the pass thru port.

With TSM + Gresham EDT + ACSLS you can do some great things with that library and most STK libraries sharing slots and drives between physical servers. When I say share drives i mean actually share all the drives the library, not define a certain number to each server. There are ways to get each server have access to all the drives.

My setup before at the main account I handled was as follows

2 STK 9310 LSM's
    ACSLS controlled
    Gresham EDT shared
    TSM as the backup solution
    2Gb SAN, brocade equipment and Cross roads routers(for the 9940A drives)
    24 9940B tape drives
    12 9940A tape drives
    Mixed 9940A & B media.
    EMC CX600 Disk arrays for the disk storage pools in TSM, we had five of these.
    EMC CX700 (SATA Disk arrays) four of these.

Four Sunfire V880 servers each with six instances of TSM on them
    One Sun E4500 with two instances of TSM on it.

Basically we backed up to fast disk, them migrated it to slower SATA disk during the day. We made copies of our data on disk to tape each day as well and offsited weekly.

7. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

wow, thanks for the info guys. I am the first to admit that I know nothing about backups. I was kinda of just put into the postion of backup admin when another employee got fired. It was my way to break into the Windows admin job from starting my way in tech support. I have been a backup admin for about 4 weeks now, and I was asked to do some research on other solutions. I in the end will not choose it, but just doing some leg work for now.

Just wanted to say I am going to read all you wrote and try to decipher some of things you are talking about as I am not familiar with some of the TLA's.

thanks

whitey