A&P Backpack for camera? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Looking for a better case/carrying method for my camera and 3 lenses. What about lowpro backpacks?

Also want to be able to use it to take to Europe in September.

Nikon D90
    50 1.8
    Tokina 12-24
    55-200 VR
    Misc Accessories

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086,14.htm

Also would like to take a laptop.

2. KenRockwell

KenRockwell Guest

Look up the following crumpler:

Customary Barge

6 million dollar home

Sinking Barge

The Whickey and the Cox

3. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I use a Tamron one because there cheaper:) I think mine was $80 and it carrys my 40D, 70-200mm 2.8, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50, and a 430ex speedlight in the main compartment. Then I got filters and other various stuff in the other pockets.

Its really full at that point and it works. I'll probably be getting a standard shoulder bag at some point for jobs and only using the backpack when I need mobility such as day trips in the mountains.

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

this stupid fucking AE needs to be banned

i'm guessing it's louisiana since he's banned for 2 weeks

5. KenRockwell

KenRockwell Guest

Those are real camera bags...crumpler names them weird.

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i see

all but 1 are over $200

the cheaper one looks tight as hell

7. KenRockwell

KenRockwell Guest

The million dollar? It's a whole line, there's a 7 and 9 million dollar home also if you want bigger.

8. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i could sell you my tamrac adventure 9. ive outgrown it :(

9. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

ThinkTank makes the best bags.

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

dakine sequence or burton zoom. they're both fucking awesome.

My sequence follows me from my car to the train to the 10 block walk to work, through daily abuse, then back again every single day. It's been almost 2 years now, and it still functions as new.

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

do any of these allow a pocket for some misc crap?

the 250 and 350 lowepro are appealing for the fact u can slide a laptop in and the top pocket can hold like keys/wallet/misc crap/passport/etc

12. Dwight Schrute

ThinkTank Airport Antidote has a laptop sleeve.

13. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

adventure 9 has a side pocket for a 15" laptop, and numerous pockets for all sorts of shit

14. Dwight Schrute

15. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

wow sweet bag. holds a ton of shit!

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

17. haku

haku OT Supporter

18. Dwight Schrute

You can't find a bag that holds for more the size. No wasted space, yet still tons of padding and protection. And it's a real backpack. You can hike a hundred miles without feeling it.

ThinkTank's build quality is outstanding too. They're the best.

19. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

the canon backpack is the best starter one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can buy it for $34 off of amazon :o

20. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

21. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i wouldn't mind weight so much since i'm a pretty big guy.

22. haku

haku OT Supporter

the bag is a bit heavy but i was fine lugging it around

the best thing about the bag are the waist straps, because you can easily pull out or put away your camera without taking the bag off (like the slingshot series)

your best bet is to go to your local camera store and try out a few bags...

23. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

This is win:

[​IMG]

Kata DR467

24. RoudyruffKK

RoudyruffKK OT Supporter

i have a lowepro fastpack 250 and a kata dr467 ..... i wanted a backpack just because it's much more comfortable if you have to carry your stuff for a few hours. my requirements were ...

- holds body + attached lens and at least 2 lenses, blower, wipes, extra batteries, charger, CF card case, and a couple filters
    - laptop + charger, nintendo DS, ipod .....
    - a decent sized compartment for other stuff
    - can be able to use on a plane as a personal bag (fits under plane seat) as i travel quite a bit and have clothes as my carry on so i never have to check in anything
    - looks like any regular backpack

the most important one was being able to use on a plane as a personal bag as i really hate checking things in and waiting on the conveyor belt. with those things in mind i bought both the Kata DR 467 and the Lowepro Fastpack 250 ... here's a short review

KATA DR-467
    this is the first one i picked up and it actually feels smaller than the lowepro, i know it's wider than the lowepro by an inch and a half, shorter by an inch, and an inch smaller in terms of depth. build quality is great and is much more comfortable on the back as it's not as firm, there's a buckle that goes around the waist and a buckle that goes around the chest which helps even more to take the load off your shoulders .... only bad part is that there's no padding on the chest/waist strap so it's just the nylon.

i love the external pocket layout of the Kata, in one of the side pockets i put all my CF cards and on the other side i put extra batteries and grip tray, i use the middle vertical pouch for random chargers and small accessories. there's a little pocket on the side that has a mesh pouch that's too small for a bottle of water, but can hold a tripod, there's also a ring in the middle of both shoulder straps which i'm assuming is to attach a camera so that it doesn't have to hang from your neck, but i don't know if it would work because you can't change lenses or anything that well with the backpack still on

the camera space of this bag is sufficient but i'm really anal about my gear rubbing each other and with a 50d, without grip, and a 24-70L attached i can only fit shorter lenses. some of the guys on FM and POTN can fit alot of stuff in this bag but i guess they don't have a problem with their equipment rubbing against each other or don't mind trying to really shove everything in to close the zippers. the dividers felt a bit flimsy and taking your gear in and out isn't the greatest.

the kata doesn't offer much protection if there's a slick thief as there's nothing to protect the zippers of the camera section to be easily opened

Lowepro Fastpack 250
    i got this one because i didn't really like how the kata held the equipment so i ended up buying this one on an impulse thinking i might like it a bit more. in terms of size it's not as wide but is an 1"-1.5" taller and deeper and when i got the 250 in i'm having my doubts that this will be usable as a personal bag as it just looks much larger that it really is.

the 250 is much stiffer than the kata even though the exterior padding is about the same. there's a waist belt that is padded at the sides and a thick nylon belt with a massive buckle. i really wished this had a chest belt as well since it would have made it much more comfortable (the 350 has a chest belt but is even taller than the 250).

on the exterior there's not as many pockets and pouches as the Kata. there's a little pocket on the left shoulder strap which i can fit one extra battery or a couple CF cards, it's pretty handy if you need it quick. if i went to the beach or something where i'm not going to carry a wallet i would probably put a little cash in there or something for quick access. there's a side mesh area where you can put a water bottle which will definatley come in handy. one large exterior pouch and one thin one that's under the front double buckle flat which can use to put your CF card holder and whatnot but it's pretty thin.

the camera section in this bag is amazing the part that acts as the "floor" to the section is very stiff (that's why the bag feels so damn stiff though), all the dividers are also very stiff, and the velcro feels much more secure.

i can fit my 50d with the 24-70L attached and can still fit another lens standing up, my 70-200 f/2.8IS fits attached to the lens as well which will make this an amazing outdoor backpack. but section at the bottom can hold 2 lenses standing up as long as it's not a real long telephoto lens (the 24-70L fits well standing up) and the top isn't really usable for lenses. i use the top to hold my 580 ex II, filters, and lens cap. the fastpack 350 allows the top portion to hold 2 more lenses as that's where the difference in height is distributed. this bag also makes changing lenses on the go much easier as i don't have to take the backpack off, i've tried it at home and it worked very well

with the flap of the lowepro coving the camera section it helps quite a bit in terms of sly thiefs, and it's much less flashier without any rings or as many loose strap ends like the kata

Conclusion
    i wish someone would make a bag that looks like the kata and has the external pockets but with the internals of the lowepro BUT if i had to pick one or the other i would probably pick to keep the lowepro because this is a camera pack and it does a much better job at doing so. i'm not sure which one i will be keeping but if the lowepro can be used as my personal bag then i will most likely end up selling the kata as there's no point in having 2 backpacks. i'm really hoping that the stiffness of the lowepro doesn't bother me too much though as i haven't carried it for more than 15minutes so far but the kata is definately very comfortable IMO

i have a crumpler 5mdh that i take to the park or carry around the city and i think it's :bowdown:

25. RoudyruffKK

RoudyruffKK OT Supporter

i tried to do that review as quick as possible and i don't intend to reread it so if there's errors or parts don't make sense than :fawk: .... i'd be more than happy to answer questions though :)